Dec. 15

TEXAS:

State of Texas Carries Out Fewest Executions Since 1996,

According to New Report from TCADP

New Death Sentences Remain at Record-Low Level, Imposed by Just Six Counties in the State

(Austin, Texas) — Executions dropped to the lowest number since 1996 and death sentences in Texas remained at a historic low level in 2011, according to the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty’s (TCADP) new report, Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2011: The Year in Review. TCADP is an Austin-based statewide, grassroots advocacy organization.

In 2011, the State of Texas carried out 13 executions, which is 50% less than in 2007. It accounted for 30% of the national total, once again a smaller percentage than years past but still twice as many as any other state. Texas has executed a total of 477 people since 1982; 238 executions have occurred during the administration of Texas Governor Rick Perry, more than any other governor inU.S. history.

For the second year in a row, juries condemned eight new individuals to death in Texas. This remains the lowest number of new death sentences since the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Texas’ revised death penalty statute in 1976. Once again, just six counties in the state of Texas accounted for the new death row inmates: Fort Bend (1); Galveston (1); Harris (3); Harrison (1); Tarrant (1); and Travis (1). This represents 2% of all Texas counties.

“Texas – along with the rest of the nation – is steadily moving away from the death penalty,” said Kristin Houlé, Executive Director of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty. “Use of the death penalty has been relegated to just a few jurisdictions in the state as prosecutors and jurors accept alternatives that protect society and punish those who are truly guilty. Still, longstanding concerns about the arbitrary and biased administration of the death penalty remain.”

An analysis of data from 2007 to 2011 reveals that only 23 Texas counties have imposed death sentences over the last 5 years; of these, only 10 counties have done so in the last 2 years. Out of a total 51 death sentences imposed in this time period, Harris County leads with 9; it is followed by Dallas County, with 7 new sentences since 2007, and Tarrant and Travis Counties, with 4 new sentences each. The other 19 counties imposed 1-3 sentences each. Together, these 23 counties
represent just 9% of the 254 counties in Texas.

Significantly, no new death sentences were imposed in Dallas County for the first time in five years. Prosecutors sought the death penalty for Charles Payne, but the jury rejected the charge of capital murder and instead found him guilty of murder in the shooting of police officer Senior Cpl. Norm Smith. This represented the first time since 1996 that prosecutors in Dallas County did not secure a capital murder conviction in a case in which they sought the death penalty. In another Dallas case, prosecutors dropped their pursuit of the death penalty and agreed to a life sentence for Johnathan Bruce Reed after he was found guilty for a third time in the 1978 murder of Wanda Jean
Wadle. Overall, Dallas County accounts for 102 death sentences since 1976.

Bexar County, which has sentenced the third highest number of people to death in Texas, has not
imposed any new death sentences since 2009.

Notably, six out of the eight new death sentences were imposed on people of color, including four African Americans and two Hispanics/Latinos. Over the last five years, nearly three-fourths of all death sentences in Texas have been imposed on people of color – 41% African American, 29% Hispanic/Latino, and 2% other. In Harris County, where these patterns are even more pronounced, 12 of the last 13 defendants sentenced to death are African American and the 13th is Hispanic/Latino.

Five inmates scheduled for execution in 2011 received stays, while the execution date for another
inmate was withdrawn.
* On September 15, 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court temporarily stayed the execution of Duane Buck, pending a conference on his cert petition. During his trial, psychologist Walter Quijano, a witness for the defense, testified on cross-examination that the fact that Buck is African American increased the likelihood of his being dangerous in the future. Such improperly elicited, racially-based testimony by Dr. Quijano led to new sentencing hearings in six other cases where the State of Texas conceded error – but not for Duane Buck. On November 7, 2011, the
    Court declined to review Buck’s case.
* On November 7, 2011, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals issued a stay to Henry “Hank” Skinner, who was scheduled for execution on November 9. Key pieces of evidence collected at the crime scene have never been subjected to DNA testing, and for the last 10 years officials have refused to release it for analysis.  The court stayed the execution to consider Skinner’s case in light of recent legislative changes to the statute related to post-conviction DNA testing. This was
    the second stay of execution for Skinner in two years.
Other highlights of Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2011: The Year in Review include the
following:
* In one capital murder trial, the jury rejected the death penalty and opted for a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. In two other cases, death-qualified jurors convicted the defendant on a charge less than capital murder, which took the death penalty off the table.  In the last four years, death-qualified juries have rejected the death penalty in at
    least 14 cases.
* Six inmates received reduced sentences in 2011 and were removed from the death row population,
    including Chelsea Richardson, one of ten women on death row.
* The State of Texas executed Humberto Leal on July 7, 2011 for the 1994 rape and murder of Adria Sauceda in San Antonio. As a Mexican national, Leal was legally entitled to seek assistance from the Mexican consulate, which could have provided him with competent legal counsel.  Texas authorities failed to inform him of this right, which is afforded to Americans and foreigners
    who travel abroad by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.
* In July, the capital murder trial of John Edward Green, which was in its sixth week of jury selection, ended abruptly when Harris County prosecutors accepted an offer from the defense. In the deal, Green pled guilty to a lesser murder charge in exchange for a 40-year prison term; he had faced a possible death sentence if convicted. A pre-trial motion in his case prompted two days of unprecedented testimony on the risk of wrongful conviction last December. “Recent developments have infused the public conversation about the death penalty with new energy and new urgency,” said Houlé. “Now, more than ever, we urge concerned citizens and elected officials to engage in dialogue about the realities of the death penalty system and reconsider this irreversible punishment by focusing on its local impact as an expensive, arbitrary, and error-prone
public policy.”

Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2011: The Year in Review is available online at www.tcadp.org/TexasDeathPenaltyDevelopments2011.pdf. Contact Kristin Houlé at kho...@tcadp.org to
receive a copy directly via email.

See http://tcadp.org/2007-2011-new-death-sentences/ for a map of new death sentences by county from
2007 to 2011.

See http://tcadp.org/1976-2011-county-map/ for a map of death sentences by county from 1976 to 2011.

Download this press release at www.tcadp.org/2011TCADPannualreportpressrelease.pdf.

(source:  TCADP)

OHIO:

Ohio justice urges repeal of death penalty

Ohio Supreme Court Justice Paul Pfeifer said Wednesday he believes it's only a matter of time before the death-penalty law he helped write 30 years ago will end.

He urged the House Criminal Justice Committee to make that date sooner rather than later.

"The death penalty in Ohio has become what I call a death lottery,'' the most senior member of the high court said. He cited the location of the murder and the attitudes of individual county prosecutors as variables affecting whether the death penalty is pursued.

He noted that only "4 or 5'' of roughly 100 capital indictments filed in Ohio each year reach conviction and a death sentence. Most end up in plea bargains.

"It's very difficult to conclude that the death penalty, as it exists today, is anything but a bad gamble,'' he said. "That's really not how a criminal justice system should work.''

He said he doesn't believe the existence of the death penalty in Ohio serves as a deterrent to murder.

"If ever there was a time when the law could have been a deterrent it was when we had the electric chair,'' Justice Pfeifer said.

Ohio lawmakers, however, took the electric chair off the table as an execution option in 2003 in favor of the lethal injection gurney. "If we're going to have the death penalty, we ought to have it unpleasant for everybody,'' Justice Pfeifer said.

The justice's beliefs on the application of the law that he helped to write as a state senator are well-known, but this is the first time he has testified before lawmakers on the subject. As a sitting justice, he has continued to vote to uphold death sentences and to set execution dates under the law.

12 executions have been scheduled, and Justice Pfeifer said two more are coming up, carrying the process into 2014. "I have a duty under the law to follow that law,'' the Republican justice said outside the hearing room. "At the same time, we are admonished under the rules that apply to judges that we have a duty to step forward and advocate for changes we think would lead to an improvement in the law.

"Abolishing the death penalty would be a needed improvement,'' he said. "It will happen. Will it be today, tomorrow, or in this session of the General Assembly? More problematic. But the day will come when Ohio no longer has a death penalty.''

Justice Pfeifer is not the 1st Supreme Court justice to testify before legislators. The late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer testified on judicial reform and mayors' courts and Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton testified on sentencing reform.

Current Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor has convened a yearlong task force to examine the fairness of how Ohio's death penalty law is applied, but she has stressed the task force will not 2nd-guess whether Ohio should have the death penalty.

There are 147 men and 1 woman on Ohio's death row.

Wednesday's hearing, the 2nd so far on House Bill 160, included testimony only from the American Civil Liberties Union, religious leaders, defense attorneys, former death-row inmates, and others supporting the bill. Prosecutors have generally opposed attempts to weaken Ohio's death-penalty law.

"I think there's been on at least one occasion in a capital case where an affidavit alleging prejudice was filed against Justice Pfeifer because of the opinions he has expressed …,'' Lucas County Prosecutor Julia Bates said when contacted after the hearing.

"I'm not sure that is appropriate for somebody who is sitting in judgment and deciding capital cases,'' she said. "These cases go directly to the Supreme Court, bypassing the courts of appeals.

"It's the worst of the offenders for the worst form of crime, at least in my county,'' Ms. Bates said. "Sometimes the death penalty is returned [by juries], and sometimes it isn't. Every case is different. I don't think it has to do with how good the prosecutor is or how bad the defense attorney is. It has to do with bad acts and how bad the defendant is, whether the aggravating circumstances outweigh any possible mitigating factors. Maybe there is no mitigation.''

Among those testifying Wednesday was Dale Johnston, who spent seven years on death row for the 1982 murder of his daughter, Annette, and her boyfriend in a Hocking County cornfield. The Ohio Supreme Court later overturned his conviction, and another man is now serving a life sentence for the crimes.

"Before Annette's brutal murder and my wrongful conviction, I was a supporter of the death penalty,'' Mr. Johnston said. "I thought it was a punishment that our state should have. I never imagined that I or another innocent man could be on death row, but it happened to me. If it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.''

(source: Toledo Blade)

CONNECTICUT:

Our View: Death penalty does not serve justice.

When Johanna Chapman, the sister of Dr. William Petit, spoke to the media following the jury’s decision to recommend the death sentence in convicted murderer Joshua Komisarjevsky’s penalty hearing last week, she very pointedly noted that Connecticut has a death penalty for heinous crimes. Clearly, the murders of the three Petit women were in fact heinous acts deserving of the harshest penalty allowed under the law.

Chapman and Petit maintain they sought neither bloodlust nor vengeance, but justice.

On that point, we take no issue with their assessments. The acts committed by Komisarjevsky and his partner, Steven Hayes, were heinous and deserving of the harshest penalties that are allowed.

The problem, however, is that those penalties are unlikely to be applied anytime soon — if at all — and therefore, the law, as it is now, does not serve justice, nor does it serve as a deterrent in preventing criminals from carrying out such heinous acts.

Having a death penalty on the books didn’t stop Komisarjevsky or Hayes — now death row inmates numbers 10 and 11.

We also agree that part of the reason for that is the endless mandatory appeals included in Connecticut’s death penalty law, rendering it meaningless. In order to carry out a death sentence, a prisoner must first volunteer.

We appreciate that the vast majority of citizens favor the death penalty for such horrific crimes. And we also appreciate their desire to see the law changed so it can be applied easily and more quickly, for justice’s sake.

But on that point, we do disagree.

The notion that a death penalty that is more easily administered will be a deterrent, preventing such acts in the future, simply has no basis in truth. Nor do we believe that increasing the pace in which the death sentences are administered is serving justice.

In our opinion, such an argument moves the discussion closer to the side of the scale favoring vengeance and bloodlust rather than justice.

(source: Opinion, Norwich Bulletin)

GEORGIA:

Muscogee County judge rejects double murderer's new trial request----Judge to hold second hearing next year on mitigation for man who killed wife, stepdaughter

A judge declined Wednesday to grant a new trial to a confessed double murderer who claims his attorneys failed to question jurors adequately before his 1998 capital murder trial.

Johnnie A. Worsley, 50, has been on death row more than 13 years, but his case has not yet reached the Georgia Supreme Court for an automatic appeal. The case is among three aging death penalty cases in Columbus that remain at the initial appellate stage more than a decade after conviction -- unusual delays even by the sluggish pace of capital proceedings.

Worsley has never denied slaughtering his wife, Flora J. Worsley, 36, and her 17-year-old daughter, Yameika Bell, in 1995. Prosecutors described the crimes as being horrific beyond belief: Worsley stabbed Bell with a butcher knife, went out and bought some crack and several hours later crushed his wife’s skull with a baseball bat after she returned home from working a night shift.

Worsley’s defense attorneys argued at trial that he should be spared capital punishment because he suffered from mental illness, and has a level of intelligence below “walking around sense.”

On Wednesday, Superior Court Judge John D. Allen held the 1st of 2 hearings on Worsley’s motion for new trial and was unpersuaded by a litany of jury selection issues raised by appellate attorney Bill Mason. Allen noted an “absence of thoroughness” on the part of Worsley’s trial attorneys during jury selection, but nothing that rose to the level of ineffective assistance of counsel.

Mason called to the witness stand Bob Wadkins, an attorney who represented Worsley at trial, and questioned him at length about why he chose not to investigate jurors’ feelings toward capital punishment during the screening process. Mason also noted that 1 juror was not excused, even though she began crying during jury selection and acknowledged her son had been the victim of an unsolved murder.

“You cannot have a death penalty case and not ask a juror, ‘What do you think about the death penalty?’” Mason argued.

Assistant District Attorney David Helmick, meanwhile, pointed to Wadkins’ years of experience at the time of the trial, and said that Mason’s arguments amounted to speculation.

“We can’t say that any reasonable and well-qualified attorney would have acted any different,” Helmick said. “You could get 100 different attorneys who would conduct voir dire (jury selection) 100 different ways.”

Mason is expected to argue at a second hearing early next year that Worsley’s trial attorneys were ineffective because they failed to present sufficient mitigating evidence for jurors to weigh during their deliberations.

“He was an Army veteran and they didn’t even introduce any of his military records,” Mason said in a recent interview. “They had sisters and brothers waiting in the hallway, but they were never called as witnesses.”

It was the victims’ family that attended Wednesday’s hearing, some expressing relief that the wheels of Worsley’s appeal are finally in motion. Michael Patillo, a nephew and close friend of the slain Flora Worsley, said he thought Johnnie Worsley would have exhausted his appeals by now.

“It’s been a real strain because I feel with what he did, he should pay for that,” he said. “Sitting up in jail chilling, you can’t come out, but they still have good times.”

Flora Worsley’s sister, Patricia Patillo, said her sentiments about capital punishment have changed over the years.

“If he stays in jail, that’s the main thing,” she said.

The murders

Worsley was prosecuted by Melvin E. Hyde Jr., a former assistant district attorney who is now a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney Office in Columbus. Hyde told jurors at Worsley’s trial that the case “cries out for the death penalty.”

“There are times when the death penalty is an effective punishment for an evil man,” Hyde said at the time. “This is one of those times.”

The slayings happened just months after Worsley reconciled with his wife and was taken back into their home. The couple’s relationship had been rocked over the years by Worsley’s cocaine abuse, but Flora Worsley “had taken him in because she was assured he was clean and was dedicated to remaining clean,” Helmick said.

Shortly after midnight on March 7, 1995, Johnnie Worsley took a butcher knife into the bedroom of the stepdaughter he’d known since she was 6 years old.

“I began stabbing her,” Worsley told police in an interview. “Sometime in the night I must have woke up and went berserk.”

Worsley then drove to East Highlands and bought some crack before returning to the 32nd Avenue home. He lay in wait behind a bedroom door and attacked his wife with a baseball bat and stabbed her in the neck when she arrived home from work about 7:30 a.m.

Worsley covered the bodies with quilts and blankets and fled Columbus in a car he stole in Phenix City. He stopped at a roadside church in Twiggs County and confessed to a Baptist minister, who telephoned authorities.

Worsley was taken into custody after a high-speed chase on Interstate 16.

After a Muscogee County jury sentenced him to death, Mason filed a motion for new trial -- 13 years ago today -- that remains pending. He also filed a motion for funds in July 2003 that he said former Superior Court Judge Kenneth B. Followill never ruled on.

“I wrote several letters and made several phone calls” to Followill, Mason said, “and I just quit asking.”

Followill said in a recent phone interview that he knows of nothing he left “unturned,” and added that judges should not take an activist role or seek to “hustle up an execution.”

(source: Columbus Ledger-Enquirer)