July 16

CALIFORNIA:

California Votes to End Death Penalty

Last week, the attorney for convicted murder Scott Peterson filed a thick packet of legal briefs calling for an appeal of his death sentence. For many, the heinous killing of Peterson’s wife Laci and unborn child makes him a poster child for the death penalty. Yet Peterson’s appeal, presumably the first of what will be many, could also be seen as the poster child against the death penalty.

Peterson’s lawyer argues, “The case against Mr. Peterson was anything but overwhelming …There were no eyewitnesses, no confessions, no admissions and scant physical evidence connected him to the crime.” Peterson’s attorney went on to allege incorrect rulings, juror misconduct, and a host of other errors in Peterson’s case which preventing his client from getting a fair trial.

This November, the Saving, Accountability, and Full Enforcement for California Act, or SAFE California Act, will appear on the ballot as a state measure (under the title Death Penalty Repeal). The official language of the bill states:

“Repeals death penalty as maximum punishment for persons found guilty of murder and replaces it with life imprisonment without possibility of parole. Applies retroactively to persons already sentenced to death. Requires persons found guilty of murder to work while in prison, with their wages to be applied to any victim restitution fines or orders against them. Creates $100 million fund to be distributed to law enforcement agencies to help solve more homicide and rape cases.”

A summary of the estimated fiscal impact of the bill was prepared by the California Legislative Analyst’s Office and the Director of Finance. According to the ballot: “Net savings to the state and counties that could amount to the high tens of millions of dollars annually on a statewide basis due to the elimination of the death penalty. One-time state costs totaling $100 million from 2012-13 through 2015-16 to provide funding to local law enforcement agencies.”

One of the state’s leading advocates for the repeal of the death penalty is the former warden of San Quentin and former Director of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Jeanne Woodford. Woodford is now the Executive Director of Death Penalty Focus and, along with the ACLU, have led the way in getting the SAFE California Act on the ballot.

Backers of the measure have argued the total saving to the state could actually add up to $1billion over the next five years. Along with the costs associated with running the nation’s largest Death Row, the state will save hundreds of millions of dollars on defense lawyers, prosecutors, and other courtroom expenses involving the death penalty. “Our system is broken, expensive, and it always will carry the grave risk of a mistake,” said Woodford in a recent press statement.

It is that grave risk of mistake that often looms in the back of many of the advocates for ending the death penalty. The non-profit organization the Innocence Project has now help exonerate, using DNA testing and other top forensic methods, 292 convicted men, including 17 men sentenced to death. Many believe Texas has recently put to death several men, including the cases of Carlos De Luna and Cameron Todd Willingham.

According to the Innocence Project, “The common themes that run though these cases – from global problems like poverty and racial issues to the criminal justice issues like eyewitness misidentification, invalid or improper forensic science, overzealous police and prosecutors and inept defense counsel – cannot be ignored and continue to plague our criminal justice system”.

Nonetheless, there are also outspoken opponents for ending the death penalty in California. Former Sacramento U.S Attorney and chairman of the Californians for Justice and Public Safety, McGregor Scott, argues the problem with the death penalty is not the law but rather the lawyers filing “frivolous appeals”. In a statement, released immediately after the SAFE California Act was approved for the ballot, Scott writes:

“On behalf of crime victims and their loved ones who have suffered at the hands of California’s most violent criminals, we are disappointed that the ACLU and their allies would seek to score political points in their continued efforts to override the will of the people and repeal the death penalty.

Make no mistake; Californians are smart. They know the ACLU is the reason why California’s capital punishment system is costly and broken. Frivolous appeals, endless delays and the ongoing re-victimization of California is their status quo. Now they think they can fool voters by promoting an initiative that would reward cop-killers and child-murders under the guise of alleged cost savings. Voters know better. They oppose the ACLU, support the death penalty and will not be fooled by hollow promises and political rhetoric.

California’s public safety leaders will never forget crime victims or dishonor their memory. We will continue waiting for – and demanding – justice”.

Last month, Californian’s for Justice and Public Safety filed a lawsuit with the state Court of Appeals calling for the resumption of executions in California. The suit argues that since the current 3-drug method has been caught up in litigation and has caused many delays in executions, California should immediately move to a 1-drug method, similar to that used in Ohio.

In light of the fact that the Innocence Project has exonerated 292 innocent people and many legal scholars believe Texas, amongst other states, have recently put to death innocent men, McGregor Scott’s recent lawsuit appears to many as an overzealous rush to put people to death. Currently, California has 725 inmates on death row. Do to the litigation surrounding the 3-drug method and other appeals, California has not put anyone to death since 2006.

This November, California’s will have the opportunity to decide for themselves whether they want to continue to pay 100’s of millions of dollars on a broken criminal justice system, which has been shown over and over again to be marked by mistakes, or they can vote yes on the Death Penalty Repeal initiative found on their ballots. (source: Ground Report)

**************************

Death penalty tossed in killing of rocker's mom

The California Supreme Court on Monday tossed out the death sentence of a man convicted of murdering rock guitarist Dave Navarro's mother and her friend nearly 30 years ago - a ruling that could affect the cases of Scott Peterson and other death row inmates.

The unanimous court said the trial judge presiding over the trial of John Riccardi improperly dismissed a prospective juror because of her conflicting written responses in a questionnaire asking her views of the death penalty.

The court said the judge was required to delve deeper into the juror's death penalty views and determine if she could impose the death sentence is she believed prosecutors proved their case.

Peterson and a few other California death row inmates are appealing on similar grounds.

Peterson was convicted of killing his wife Laci, who was 8 months pregnant with their son, and dumping her body in San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002. Investigators believe Peterson either strangled or suffocated his wife.

Peterson has always maintained his innocence and claims in his appeal filed earlier this month that the trial judge presiding over his 2004 trial wrongly dismissed 13 jurors who said they opposed the death penalty but could follow the law and impose it if warranted.

In 1984, a narrowly divided U.S. Supreme Court ruled that reversal of the death penalty is automatic when potential jurors are dismissed because of their written answers to questions about their views on capital punishment.

Peterson's attorney Cliff Gardner argued in his appeal that the mistake occurred in the Peterson trial and may be the basis of appeals of a few other death row inmates.

The last California execution occurred in 2006. Lawsuits in federal and state courts have forced a temporary halt to executions.

In its ruling Monday, the state high court upheld Riccardi's murder conviction. Once a noted body builder, he was convicted of killing former girlfriend Connie Navarro in a jealous rage. Her friend Sue Jory also was killed. Navarro's son played guitar for the band "Jane's Addiction."

It's now up the California attorney general to determine if another penalty phase will be held or if Riccardi is taken off death row and sentenced to life in prison.

Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye said that ruling "compels the reversal of the penalty phase without any inquiry as to whether the error actually" led to an unfair trial. The chief justice wrote separately to urge the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider the automatic reversal in such cases.

The juror in question, identified only by the initials "N.K." in the ruling, wrote on the questionnaire that she supported California's reinstatement of the death penalty and stated that it is not used enough.

But later in the questionnaire, the juror gave answers that suggest she opposes capital punishment.

"I'm afraid I could not feel right in imposing the death penalty on someone even though I feel it is nessasary (sic) under some circumstances," N.K. wrote.

Cantil-Sakauye wrote that the trial court judge should have questioned her more instead of dismissing her as he did.

The chief justice said the juror's conflicting answers meant either she "feared that actually being on a death jury would be difficult or uncomfortable, or she was advising the court that she could not impose a decision of death, even if the evidence warranted its application. From the questionnaire alone, we cannot possibly determine which scenario prompted her answers."

Riccardi was arrested in Houston 8 years after the killings when "America's Most Wanted" aired a segment on the 1983 crime. A tipster recognized him and alerted authorities.

(source: Associated Press)

*************

Campaign to end the death penalty raises nearly $3 million

So far, those campaigning to end the death penalty in California have vastly outraised their opponents in the brewing battle over Proposition 34, scheduled for the November ballot. According to records put together by MapLight, a money in politics watchdog, the ballot initiative that would end capital punishment and replace it with life without parole has raised $2.9 million. It's opponents, meanwhile, have about $44,800 in the bank.

Capital punishment, it turns out, has some wealthy foes: Nicholas Pritzker, whose financial empire includes the Hyatt hotel chain, gave $500,000 to Prop 34. Other big donors include the ACLU, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, and Quinn Delaney of the Akonadi Foundation.

Donations against the proposition have mostly come from law enforcement groups so far, including the Peace Officers Research Association of California and the Sacramento Deputy Sheriffs' Association.

It's early in the election season still, with the biggest political pushes happening in the fall rather than the summer. But the Prop 34 campaign has already started their media effort, with editorials in major papers and several events around the state. The campaign has also hosted two press tours: one features wrongfully convicted former inmates exonerated of violent crimes; the other, victims of violent crime who oppose the death penalty. Meanwhile, the campaign against the initiative has mostly been mum.

(source: SCPR.org)

INDIANA:

Paula Cooper: A 2nd chance

Paula Cooper was sentenced to death for the murder of an elderly Bible school teacher in the 1980s. The state Supreme Court commuted her sentence to 60 years in prison, and now she shares her story and hopes for the future with The Times as the final year of her sentence winds down.

A 2nd chance at life----First of a series

The plight of Paula Cooper resonated from Glen Park to the Vatican in 1986 after she was sentenced to death for a murder she admitted committing -- at the age of 15. No longer on death row, Cooper is in line to walk free 1 year from this week.

Today’s story is the 1st in a series of reports over the next year that look at Cooper’s case and the many effects on people, institutions and the law it has had and continues to have.

Coming in August: The story of Ruth Pelke and her grandson Bill.

Timeline of events

May 14, 1985: Bible teacher Ruth Pelke is murdered.

May 15, 1985: Stepson Robert Pelke discovers her body.

May 1985: 4 Lew Wallace High School students arrested for the murder of Ruth Pelke -- Karen Denise Corder, 16; Paula Cooper, 15; April Beverly, 15; and Denise Thomas, 14.

Nov. 7, 1985: Denise Thomas convicted of felony murder/murder on Dec. 4, 1985; Sentenced to 35 years in prison.

March 26, 1986: Karen Corder pleaded guilty to murder of Ruth Pelke on May 29, 1986; Corder sentenced to 60 years in prison.

April 21, 1986: Paula Cooper pleaded guilty to the stabbing murder of Ruth Pelke.

June 23, 1986: April Beverly pleaded guilty to robbery in connection with the murder of Ruth Pelke.

July 18, 1986: April Beverly sentenced to 25 years in prison.

July 11, 1986: Paula Cooper is sentenced to death.

July 13, 1989: Indiana Supreme Court finds Paula Cooper's death sentence unconstitutional and commutes her sentence to 60 years in prison.

July 17, 2013: Paula Cooper's scheduled release from prison.

Paula Cooper mixed no-bake cookies, creating balls of sweet coconut and baking cocoa the size of a fist. The 42-year-old woman was preparing meals for more than 100 prison staff at Rockville Correctional Facility -- where she has spent most of her life.

“I take great pride in what I do,” she said of cooking. “People have to trust you to eat your food. That's the most personal thing that they could do -- is taking something out your hand and believing you've done nothing to it.”

In 1985, Cooper was convicted of fatally stabbing an elderly Gary Bible school teacher 33 times with a butcher knife.

She was 15 years old.

The murder involved three other teenage co-defendants from Gary's Lew Wallace High School and left the region shaken.

Cooper was the only one sentenced to death -- a sentence eventually commuted after international attention and new state legal precedent.

Initially facing the electric chair, Cooper's sentence was commuted to life in prison.

Now, more than 25 years later, Cooper says she is a different person, tutoring inmates in the culinary arts while she is counting down the days to her 2013 release. And a second chance at life.

“7, 8 years ago, I couldn't say I was ready to go home, and I wouldn't tell anybody that because that was a lie,” Cooper said about her rehabilitation. “My time is coming and, you know, I just hope that people give me a chance out there. That's it -- because people do change.”

The crime

It was a spring day when Cooper and three other teenagers decided to rob a house.

“We just had got really bored,” Cooper said. “We had started burglarizing people's houses, and that's basically got us to the point where we were at.”

April Beverly, whom Cooper said she met in person for the 1st time that day, lived behind a 78-year-old grandmother's house and suggested that house be their target.

Ruth Pelke lived alone in her Adams Street home in Gary's Glen Park neighborhood. Family members called her “Nana,” and she took interest in sharing Bible stories with children, including Beverly, in the Gary neighborhoods.

While accounts differ as to what exactly happened inside Pelke's house on May 14, 1985, Cooper describes the crime as a “robbery gone bad.”

“It was a murder,” Cooper said. “And it wasn't one that was planned or premeditated. It just happened.”

Cooper said the other burglaries were done at various vacant homes, and this one was different because, unbeknown to them, Pelke was there.

And she invited the girls into the house.

According to records, the teenagers pretended to be interested in taking part in Pelke's Bible classes. When Pelke let them in to write down the information, she was hit over the head and then stabbed dozens of times with a 12-inch knife.

“Once we got inside, it was like, 'What do we do now?'" Cooper said. “And everything just started happening ... It was a long time ago, and there are some things I can remember about it and some things I don't, but it just was never the intention, we just never had the intention of hurting anybody.”

While records place the knife in Cooper's hands, she said it was in everyone's at some point. The girls ransacked the house, stole about $10 and Pelke's car keys and drove away.

Cooper said they were “panicking, and then just one thing is leading to another, and everything is just moving really fast.”

Bill Pelke, the victim's grandson, said his son turned 15 the day his grandmother was killed.

“At first I thought, well, it was probably some 30-, 40-year-old drug addict, you know, trying to get money for a fix or something,” said Bill, now 64. “When we found out several days later that it was ninth-grade girls, it was just a real, just a real shock.”

Denise Thomas, then 14, Karen Corder, then 16, and April Beverly, then 15, later received sentences ranging from 25 to 60 years in prison. Thomas was convicted of murder, Corder pleaded guilty to murder and Beverly pleaded guilty to robbery in connection with the murder.

Beverly was pregnant and Corder a young mother at the time of the crime.

Cooper said she felt like they conspired against her to get favorable sentences, and that she, in turn, took the biggest fall.

“I think one of the misconceptions is that I was some ringleader of this big murder; that's not true,” said Cooper, who had no prior criminal record. “What I want people to know is that all four of us were guilty, and that's the bottom line. There was no innocent person in that house.”

After pleading guilty in April 1986 to murder, and murder while committing a robbery – without the benefit of a plea deal – Cooper was sentenced to death.

Indiana legislators later changed the law to make 16 the minimum age someone could be sentenced to death. But the law was written to exclude Cooper. International media attention and petitions for clemency on Cooper's behalf poured in from around the world, including from Pope John Paul II.

In 1989, the Indiana Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional to sentence someone younger than 16 to death, and the high court commuted Cooper's sentence to 60 years in prison. It was the second harshest sentence for murder at the time.

“This is a difficult conclusion to reach because of the gruesome nature of Cooper's acts,” wrote Supreme Court Chief Justice Randall Shepard in the court's opinion.

And with a day knocked off a state sentence for every day of good conduct, Cooper is scheduled to be released July 17, 2013.

The time

Cooper wears a maroon T-shirt over khaki-colored pants, her daily prison garb, with a yellow I.D. clipped below her left shoulder. She has short, black hair, wears white and brown eye shadow and is soft-spoken. She describes herself back in the 1980s as “horrible.”

“I'm the type of person that I don't like to be fake,” she said. “I don't like to pretend with people. I mean, I was a very troubled person years ago. I was very troubled, had some very serious issues with myself and people, period.”

According to reports and Cooper herself, she was originally from Chicago, physically abused as a child, ran away from home starting at about age 12 and had regular contact with the Juvenile Detention System.

One report describes how Cooper was beaten with an extension cord and how a family member placed Cooper and another young relative in a car and started the engine in a garage in a murder/suicide attempt.

After years of being bitter in prison and falling into the negativity that hovers over many in that environment, Cooper said she has changed.

“If I never have hope, if I never have faith, if I never believe in anything, and I'm just sitting here moping around all day long, my life is just one ball of misery,” she said. “You have to learn how to deal with your own bitterness and anger and the things that's going on inside.”

Cooper credits her growth to God's intervention and her taking advantage of Rockville's programming after transferring nine years ago to the facility about three hours south of Gary.

Cooper was previously involved for discipline issues, but is now a leader among inmates, tutoring many in culinary arts. She said she felt like she had a lot to prove to people, and she was proud to be instructing fellow inmates on how to properly prepare meals.

“There's a lot of people in there that's never cooked before," Cooper said. “Ever.”

Her first job after arriving at Rockville was for Prison Enterprise Network, known as PEN Products, a division of Indiana's Department of Correction that manufactures various products for the state prisons and has some joint ventures with private companies as well.

Cooper said the woman in charge told her she originally never had any intention of hiring her. But after Cooper explained her past and shared her present, she was hired.

“That was my 1st chance, and I didn't want to let her down because I felt like she was the 1st person I encountered here at this facility, and if I had've disappointed her, then I was never going to be able to redeem myself,” Cooper said.

Cooper said she ended up a valued employee, pressing more than twice the daily quota of metal parts used for doors and ice machines.

And while she said she's grateful to count her mother and sister among her supporters, she has found another source of strength in an unsuspecting place: Bill Pelke, the murder victim's grandson.

“He's my -- he's my biggest encouragement,” Cooper said.

Bill Pelke, who once agreed with the judge's death-penalty ruling, became one of Cooper's strongest advocates in having that sentence commuted. They have written each other almost weekly for decades, and have in-person visits when possible.

Pelke said he realized his grandmother would have wanted compassion for Paula, and that God made forgiveness in him possible.

“We're supposed to hate the sin but love the sinner,” said Bill Pelke, who wrote a book about his experience and helps victims' families through the nonprofit Journey of Hope, From Violence to Healing. “Paula has changed. She's not the same person that committed that terrible crime in 1985.”

The future

With just about a year left of her sentence, Cooper is looking forward to giving back to society and getting a job.

But she said she is worried society will not give her the opportunity because of her past.

“We should pay for our crimes and we should, you know, take our punishment,” Cooper said. “But everybody deserves a 2nd chance.”

That ability to find work is one factor in whether inmates return to prison, according to various studies. In Indiana, about 40 % of the prison population released in 2005 went back behind bars within 3 years, according to the DOC.

“I mean, I don't care if I have to sweep floors, wash dishes or flip hamburgers, I'm going to take what I can get, you know, just to get on my feet and show people that I deserve a chance. Because I've done my time,” Cooper said.

During her decades in prison, Cooper has earned her GED, received a bachelor's degree, completed an apprenticeship program in housekeeping and collected various certificates. She said she hopes it helps her find steady work, and that regardless, she wants to talk to troubled youth and help them avoid making her mistakes.

“You know, I have a real story,” she said. “And there's somebody out there, even if it's just one kid, that will listen. And I'm hoping to get them.”

(source: Northwest Indiana Times)

MASSACHUSETTS:

Romney proposed 'foolproof' death penalty in Mass.

As Massachusetts governor, Republican Mitt Romney set himself a daunting challenge: craft a death penalty law that virtually guaranteed only the guilty could be executed, then push it through an overwhelmingly Democratic state Legislature that was leery of capital punishment.

Making the task even more difficult, the push by Romney — who is now running for president — came in 2005 at a time of growing national skepticism about the death penalty. Just 2 years earlier, Illinois Gov. George Ryan had cleared his state's death row after the death sentences of several inmates had been overturned.

Romney decided to tackle that skepticism by coming up with what he said would be a "gold standard for the death penalty in the modern scientific age."

In trying to set a new and higher bar, Romney also was chasing 2 political goals.

The 1st was to fulfill a promise, made during his 2002 run for governor, to try to reinstate the death penalty in Massachusetts, then 1 of a dozen states that had banned the punishment. The 2nd was to burnish his conservative resume as he looked ahead to 2008 and his st run for president.

"We believe that the capital punishment bill that we put forward is not only right for Massachusetts, but it's a model for the nation," Romney said at the time, in comments similar to what he said about his overhaul of the state health insurance system. That law became a blueprint for the sweeping federal health care overhaul enacted by President Barack Obama, which has become an issue in the White House race.

Romney's handling of the death penalty issue opened a window into the type of management style he could bring to the White House if elected. He hand-picked a commission and outlined his goals in broad terms. Then he turned the panel's recommendations into a bill that ultimately failed to get through the Legislature. But his decision to fight an uphill battle on an issue that had begun to lose its urgency also showed Romney wasn't afraid of a political fight.

His 1st step was to pull together a panel of legal scholars, prosecutors, crime lab officials, a medical geneticist and criminologist Henry Lee, who played a key role in the O.J. Simpson murder trial and other highly publicized cases.

One of those heading up the panel was Joseph Hoffmann, a law professor at Indiana University's Maurer School of Law. Hoffman said Romney gave the group a free hand, but suggested they focus on harnessing "the power of science" to improve on death penalty laws in other states.

"He said 'this is completely up to you.' We were given an amazing amount of discretion and leeway," Hoffman said. "He wanted us to be free to discuss this, talk about it and propose any ideas, any improvement, any processes that would make this the best death penalty anyone had ever proposed."

The bill Romney filed adopted many of the panel's recommendations.

It limited capital punishment to the "worst of the worst" crimes — including terrorism, the murder of police officers, murder involving torture and the killing of witnesses — and required a "no doubt" standard of guilt.

It outlined a series of safeguards, including a requirement that physical evidence, such as DNA, directly link the defendant to the crime scene. Lethal injection was the specified method of execution. The bill also mandated an additional review of evidence before an execution could be carried out. Every death penalty case would have separate juries for trial and sentencing.

Part of Massachusetts' reluctance to impose death sentences comes from its rocky history with the penalty.

One of the most controversial cases involved the executions of Italian immigrants Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti, who were put to death in 1927 after being convicted of killing 2 people during a robbery. Many observers, then and now, say the trial focused unfairly on their anarchist political beliefs and immigrant status.

The state abolished capital punishment in 1984.

By the time Romney took office in 2003, Massachusetts hadn't put anyone to death since 1947, although it had come within a single vote of restoring the death penalty after the 1997 kidnapping and murder of a 10-year-old boy.

But by 2005, lawmakers had again begun to turn away from the death penalty. Some cited human error and prejudice among reasons to steer clear of reinstating it.

"Errors have been made and will continue to be made," Rep. John Keenan, a Democrat and descendant of one of the victims of the Salem witch trials, said during debate over the bill.

Even Romney conceded the possibility of human fallibility during a public hearing on the measure.

"A 100 % guarantee? I don't think there's such a thing in life. Except perhaps death — for all of us," Romney said, although he described the proposal "as foolproof a death penalty as exists."

Others saw political motives in Romney's efforts.

"There was no way the Massachusetts Legislature was going to pass a death penalty bill," state Rep. David Linsky, a Democrat who opposed Romney's bill and had helped investigate or prosecute about 25 murder cases as an assistant district attorney, said in an interview. "It was all about setting up his future conservative credentials outside Massachusetts."

Others, including many Republican and moderate Democrats backed the measure, however. But the bill was defeated on a 99-to-53 vote in the House after more than four hours of impassioned debate.

Not all the criticism of Romney's proposal came from death penalty foes.

Some conservatives said his plan was so narrowly drawn and had so many layers of safeguards that it would be virtually impossible to carry out an execution under it.

Now running for president a second time, Romney hasn't spent time touting the death penalty proposal. He prefers to focus the debate on the issue his campaign believes offers him the best chance of winning in November: the economy.

*******************

Highlights of Romney's death penalty bill in Mass.

Highlights of the death penalty bill Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney filed as Massachusetts governor in 2005. The bill would have:

- Limited capital punishment to people convicted of terrorism, multiple murders, killing law enforcement officers and murder involving torture.

- Required conclusive scientific evidence, such as DNA, linking the suspect to the crime scene.

- Mandated a scientific review of the physical evidence before an execution was carried out.

- Established a "no doubt" standard which meant that even after a guilty verdict was rendered, the death penalty could not be imposed if any juror harbored the slightest doubt about the defendant's guilt.

- Required 2 trials, 1 to determine guilt and the 2nd to decide whether to impose the death penalty.

- Required an automatic review by the Supreme Judicial Court.

- Barred the execution of anyone who was younger than 18 at the time of the crime.

- Required the creation of a list of "capital case qualified" defense attorneys to represent any defendant facing the death penalty.

- Created a commission to review complaints and investigate errors.

(source for both: Associated Press)

CONNECTICUT:

Death row inmates back holding trial in prison

Connecticut death row inmates who are suing the state over alleged racial and geographic biases in the state's death penalty are supporting a plan to hold the trial in a prison instead of a courthouse.

Inmates' lawyers said in a court document filed Friday that the plan by state officials was "adequate." The plan calls for the trial to be held at Northern Correctional Institution in Somers, which houses death row, beginning in September and be broadcast via a live video feed to Rockville Superior Court so the public can watch.

The trial would be held in one of the prison's dayrooms, where each inmate and his lawyer would sit together at their own table.

9 of the 10 men on death row are plaintiffs in the appeal. The state repealed capital punishment for all future crimes earlier this year.

Inmates objected to an earlier plan by the state to hold the trial in Rockville and allow them to watch video feeds in their cells.

The plan to hold the trial in the prison still needs approval by a judge. A hearing on issue is scheduled for July 25 in Rockville.

Racial bias allegations against the death penalty date back to 1991 when Sedrick Cobb raised the issue before the state Supreme Court, which has upheld the constitutionality of the death penalty. Cobb raped and murdered a 23-year-old woman in 1989.

6 death row inmates are black and 3 are white, when blacks make up only 10 % of the state's population. Inmates' lawyers also say several inmates on death row were prosecuted in Waterbury, bolstering claims of geographic bias.

The state's last execution was in 2005, when serial killer Michael Ross was given a lethal injection.

(source: Associated Press)

USA:

Family Pain Still Lingers

The Navy destroyer was moored for a routine refueling stop at the Port of Aden in Yemen on a Thursday morning when 2 men in a small civilian boat approached. They smiled and waved at crew members as they guided their vessel toward the port side of the ship.

Suddenly, they increased speed, aiming their boat like a dart at the warship’s waterline.

It was Oct. 12, 2000, and the ship was the USS Cole.

“I was sitting at my desk at 11:18 when there was a thunderous explosion. You could feel all 505 feet and 8,400 tons of guided missile destroyer quickly and violently thrust up and to the right,” said retired Navy Cmdr. Kirk Lippold, commanding officer of the Cole at that time.

“We seemed to hang for a second in the air, came back down, rocked from side to side, ceiling tiles popped out, lights went out, everything on my desk popped up, landed back down,” Cmdr. Lippold said.

The blast, which tore a 40-by-60-foot hole in the Cole’s steel hull, killed 17 sailors and wounded 39 others — the deadliest assault on a U.S. warship in more than a decade. The al Qaeda terrorist network claimed responsibility for the suicide attack.

On Tuesday, the accused mastermind of the Cole attack — Abd al-Rahim Hussayn Muhammad al-Nashiri — is set to appear at a military court hearing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

A Saudi of Yemeni descent, al-Nashiri, 47, is charged with 11 counts related to orchestrating the Cole bombing, as well as an attempted attack on the USS the Sullivans in January 2000. He faces the death penalty.

‘It still hurts’

For John and Gloria Clodfelter of Mechanicsville, Va., Tuesday’s hearing is just one step along the long road for closure.

The Clodfelters lost their eldest son in the Cole attack — Petty Officer 3rd Class Kenneth Clodfelter, 21 — and they will make the trip to the Guantanamo Bay detention facility to attend al-Nashiri’s hearing.

“I owe it to my son to go ahead and make certain that they haven’t gotten away with this stuff. To be able to face this person and, if nothing else, to let him know that he hasn’t gotten away with what they did,” Mr. Clodfelter, a retired Air Force veteran, said in a phone interview.

“It still hurts. It still hurts a whole lot,” he said. “But it’s important that people make certain that it’s not forgotten.

“If people do forget about what happened, it’s going to be that much easier for them to do it to another Navy ship,” he said.

The Clodfelters have a daughter who is serving in the Navy and recently returned from an 8-month deployment.

The hearing will not mark their 1st encounter with al-Nashiri. They saw him in October during his arraignment. He waved his hands while walking into court, just like the suicide bombers had done toward the crew of the USS Cole that day, Mr. Clodfelter said.

‘Sealed our fate’

Unlike the 9/11 terrorist attacks a year later, the USS Cole attack was never met with a military response.

Bruce Riedel, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a former National Security Council official under Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush, said that no definitive intelligence at the time linked the attack to Osama bin Laden or al Qaeda.

“The intelligence community said it was their judgment that it was an al Qaeda attack but they couldn’t prove that until much later,” he said.

Both the Clinton and Bush administrations ultimately chose not to respond, said Cmdr. Lippold, who recently penned a book on the attack, “Front Burner: Al Qaeda’s Attack on the USS Cole.”

“All the Clinton administration wanted to do was wrap up the investigation and get out of town, and not leave any political baggage on the table. By the same token, the Bush administration came in and viewed the attack as ‘stale,’ according to Deputy Secretary of Defense [Paul] Wolfowitz, so they didn’t respond. They took the attitude of ‘forward acting, not backward looking,’” Cmdr. Lippold said.

“And consequently with no reaction to the Cole, bin Laden was incensed, and felt that we were weak, that we wouldn’t respond, and while we will never be able to ask the big unanswered question of had we responded to Cole, would we have tipped a piece of intelligence somewhere to detect 9/11 — I guarantee you, by doing nothing, we sealed our fate,” he said.

‘Justice takes time’

During this week’s 3-day hearing, a military judge will hear arguments from the defense and prosecution on motions that will affect how the case is tried.

The motions include whether evidence obtained through waterboarding will be admissible, whether al-Nashiri can give a current photo of himself to his family to show his condition, and whether his upcoming trial will be aired via closed-circuit or broadcast to a larger audience.

The motions hearing has been a long time coming, given that al-Nashiri was first charged in 2008.

There are several reasons for the delay, said Heritage Foundation senior legal fellow Charles “Cully” Stimson, a military judge and trial lawyer who served as deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs in the Bush administration.

Mr. Stimson noted that al-Nashiri was on the lam until 2002, when he was captured by the CIA, which held him as a law-of-war prisoner until September 2006. As an enemy combatant, al-Nashiri lacked the right to be brought to trial.

In 2006, the Supreme Court ruled in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld that the president needs express congressional authorization to establish military commissions to try combatants. A rewrite of the commissions law was approved and signed later that year.

Mr. Stimson also noted that since military court judges are independent, they move cases as quickly as they can but according to their own schedules.

Al-Nashiri’s defense counsel, Richard Kammen, is challenging every aspect of the government’s case in a “zealous and ethical manner,” he said.

“These things take time,” Mr. Stimson said. “The wheels of justice go very slow but they do so with deliberate speed. Justice takes time.”

The case also stalled when the Obama administration in 2009 tried to transfer the cases of al-Nashiri and five accused 9/11 plotters to civilian federal court as part of an effort to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, which human rights groups said violates the Geneva Conventions. They also argued that military tribunals were flawed because they allow defendants to be convicted with hearsay evidence and do not compel the government to put all of its witnesses on the stand.

Staunch opposition from Congress blocked the transfers, and the military commissions system underwent another reform in 2009 that expanded the rights of the accused and prohibited the use of evidence obtained by torture or cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment. The changes were implemented in 2010. In 2011, the U.S. renewed the cases against al-Nashiri and five accused 9/11 plotters under military tribunals at Gitmo.

“I am incredibly disappointed that it’s taken as long as it has,” said Cmdr. Lippold. “The defense team has lodged over 100 motions that have to be acted upon, each one is going to take weeks and not months. The defense is going to drag this process out for years. The American people are not going to see justice.”

(source: Washington Times)