June 5

COLORADO:

Holmes can plead insanity in Colo. theater shooting

Mass shooting suspect James Eagan Holmes was allowed Tuesday to change his plea to not guilty by reason of insanity, setting the stage for an extensive mental-health evaluation that could stretch into 2014.

Judge Carlos Samour Jr. accepted the revised plea at a hearing Tuesday, three months after the court entered a plea of not guilty on Mr. Holmes' behalf in the Aurora theater shooting.

Mr. Holmes, a 25-year-old former graduate student, has been charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder stemming from the July 20 attack at the Century 16 Aurora premier of "The Dark Knight Rises" that left 12 dead and 58 wounded.

His defense attorneys have argued that Mr. Holmes is mentally ill. Last month, the court rebuffed their efforts to overturn the state's laws on the insanity plea.

Tuesday's plea means that Mr. Holmes must cooperate with a series of court-ordered independent psychiatric evaluations designed to determine his mental state at the time of the shooting. As a result, his trial date may be pushed back from the scheduled start date of February 2014.

Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler is seeking the death penalty, but if a jury finds that Mr. Holmes was legally insane at the time of the shooting, under state law he cannot be executed.

The court was also considering Tuesday dozens of motions defense filed by the defense on topics such as jury sequestration and evidence procedures.

(source: Washington Times)

ARIZONA:

Arias lawyers discuss possible death penalty retrial; Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery discusses whether his office plans to retry the penalty phase of the Jodi Arias murder trial.

Jodi Arias' defense team responded Tuesday to Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery's suggestion last week that he would go forward with a trial to convince a new jury to impose the death penalty on Arias unless her attorneys made an offer for resolution.

"If the diagnosis made by the State's psychologist is correct, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office is seeking to impose the death penalty upon a mentally ill woman who has no prior criminal history," Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott said in a joint statement exclusively to The Arizona Republic. "Despite Mr. Montgomery's recent statements to the media, it is not incumbent upon Ms. Arias' defense counsel to resolve this case. Instead, the choice to end this case sits squarely with Mr. Montgomery and his office."

The decision will indeed be up to Montgomery. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens has set a tentative court date of July 18 to seat a new jury just to consider the death penalty, but Willmott has indicated that she has a scheduling conflict then.

Montgomery's statement that he would consider "offers" from the defense indicates he might consider concessions from Arias, such as not pursuing appeals. But courthouse regulars suggest that Arias, 32, could just as easily take her chances going back to trial. And in the event she gets death, she would have 20 years or so to do battle in state and federal appeals court to try to get a lesser sentence or a new trial.

If Montgomery lifts the intent to seek the death penalty, Arias would receive a mandatory life sentence. Stephens would then choose between life in prison or natural life in prison. The former is frequently referred to as "life with chance of parole after 25 years," but that is a misnomer often used even during court proceedings.

Arizona discontinued parole for 1st-degree murderers in 1994. Anyone sentenced since then might be sentenced to life with possibility of release after 25 years. Parole is only available for those who committed murders before 1994.

(source: USA Today)

*******************

Arias lawyers respond to Montgomery

On May 8, Jodi Arias was convicted of the 2008 murder of her sometime lover, Travis Alexander, but on May 23, the jury reached impasse on whether to sentence her to death or to life in prison. A week later, Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said that his office would go forward with the trial to convince a new jury to impose the death penalty, but ...

"If they were to make an offer for resolution, I think I have an ethical responsibility to consider that," he said.

Today Arias' defense attorneys, Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott issued a joint statement in an exclusive to The Arizona Republic.

"If the diagnosis made by the State's psychologist is correct, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office is seeking to impose the death penalty upon a mentally ill woman who has no prior criminal history," they wrote. "Despite Mr. Montgomery's recent statements to the media, it is not incumbent upon Ms. Arias' defense counsel to resolve this case. Instead, the choice to end this case sits squarely with Mr. Montgomery and his office.

"It is solely for them to determine if continuing to pursue a death sentence upon Ms. Arias, who is already facing a mandatory life sentence, is a good and proper use of taxpayer resources."

The decision will indeed be up to Montgomery. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens has set a tentative court date of July 18 to seat a new jury just to consider the death penalty, but Willmott has already indicated that she has a scheduling conflict then.

Montgomery's statement that he would consider "offers" from the defense indicates he might consider concessions from Arias, such as not pursuing appeals. But courthouse regulars suggest that Arias, 32, could just as easily take her chances going back to trial. And in the event she gets death, she would have 20 years or so to do battle in state and federal appeals court to try to get a lesser sentence or a new trial.

Ultimately, however, offers have to come from Montgomery. His office, not the judge, makes the decision to seek the death penalty. And at this point, because Arias is already convicted of 1st-degree murder, there is no need to reach a settlement with Arias in order for her to be sentenced to life in prison. Montgomery only has to lift the intent to seek the death penalty and she would receive a mandatory life sentence.

Judge Sherry Stephens would then choose between life in prison or natural life in prison. The former is frequently referred to as "life with chance of parole after 25 years," but that is a misnomer often used even during court proceedings.

Arizona discontinued parole for 1st-degree murderers in 1994. Anyone sentenced since then might be sentenced to life with possibility of release after 25 years. Parole is only available for those who committed murders before 1994.

"Now the only chance of release is commutation from the governor through the Board of Executive Clemency," a more difficult process, said Ron Reinstein, a retired Superior Court judge who chairss the Arizona Supreme Court's capital case oversight committee. "It doesn't happen very often," he said.

And given the fact that the jury found an aggravating factor in Arias' case, it's unlikely Stephens would impose that sentence.

If she had committed the murder after 2012, release after 25 years would not even be an option, because the Arizona State Legislature has abolished the sentence for premeditated 1st-degree murder. It is still a possibility for juveniles convicted of murder or adults convicted of 1st-degree felony murder, which means that someone was killed during the commission of another felony.

(source: Arizona Republic)

CALIFORNIA:

Was judge senile in death penalty case? 9th Circuit dissenter sees 'painfully obvious' incompetence

A federal appeals court has discounted allegations that a judge who sentenced a triple murderer to death was suffering from Alzheimer's disease at the time.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reinstated the death sentence for Ronald Deere, convicted of murdering three family members of his ex-girlfriend after she rejected him, the Metropolitan News-Enterprise and Trial Insider report. Deere was seeking a hearing into whether his lawyer was ineffective by failing to challenge the competency of Judge Fred Metheny of Riverside, Calif., during the penalty phase of his retrial in 1986.

Any suggestion that Metheny had Alzheimer's at the time is supported by "anecdotes recounted by a grand total of 3 lawyers," according to the majority opinion (PDF) by Judge Barry Silverman. And those anecdotes "reveal no more than eccentricity as distinguished from dementia," the court said.

Silverman cited findings that Metheny, who died 25 years ago, was "scrupulously fair and objective" during the proceedings in Deere's case.

One of the lawyers who submitted an affidavit told of a drawn-out small claims case before Metheny in 1986 in which the judge suddenly stepped down from the bench, started shaking hands with the litigants, and then started shaking hands with people in the spectator section. According to the lawyer, Metheny said he assumed all the people in court were Christians, and remarked upon the lawyers??? inability to settle. He then dismissed the case.

In his dissent, Judge Judge William Fletcher cited that affidavit and other evidence about Metheny's mental state, including a 1987 newspaper article reporting on a survey that found Metheny to be the worst judge on the Riverside bench. "The majority holds that a judge suffering from dementia may sentence a man to death," Fletcher wrote. "I disagree."

According to Fletcher, Metheny's mental incompetence was "painfully obvious" in the Deere resentencing hearings. He also said the affidavits submitted by the lawyers offer "a terrifying window into Judge Metheny's courtroom."

"It is an open secret that some judges stay on the bench too long," Fletcher wrote. "Formal procedures exist for removing senile judges, but they are rarely employed. Attorneys hesitate to challenge judges they appear before, and judges hesitate to blow the whistle on their colleagues. I am as reluctant as most judges to seek to remove a senile judge or to set aside a decision reached by such a judge. But when a man's life is at stake, I cannot stay silent."

(source: ABA JOunral)

USA:

Mothers on death row----see: http://www.kcra.com/news/photos-mothers-on-death-row/-/11797728/20416442/-/11cxbq6/-/index.html

(source: KCRA)

********************

Suddenly, the death penalty's all the rage

This last month has seen a surge in stories about the death penalty: the Boston bomber charged with a federal crime that carries the death penalty; the jury in the Jody Arias trial deadlocked on whether she deserves to be executed; and prosecutors in Ohio weighing whether to pursue capital punishment in the Castro kidnapping case.

In addition, Maryland joined a growing number of states, including Illinois, which have abolished the death penalty. Even closer to home, legislators recently debated, and defeated, a proposal to study the cost of the death penalty in Missouri.

Can we make sense of all these conflicting data points? Yes and no. On the one hand, they show a nation profoundly divided on the death penalty, both as a matter of state policy and when applied to particular cases. That division goes deep, and reflects all sorts of lines: philosophical, religious and regional. People disagree on whether the death penalty should be used, and even those who endorse the penalty divide on which criminals deserve it.

On the other hand, we can discern a pattern in the stories from the last month. In particular cases, when emotions are high, we are apt to think that capital punishment can be an appropriate response. We can see this most clearly in the Boston bombing case. Although Massachusetts does not have the death penalty for state crimes, the federal government can execute people for some violations of federal law. So the younger Tsarnaev brother was promptly rung up on federal charges, and many were relieved.

When we move away from the particular case, however, and our emotions settle, many people start to take a different view of the death penalty. With countless appeals, the costs add up, and there always hangs over the proceedings the possibility that we might execute an innocent person. In many ways, the whole thing can seem not to be worth it, and more and more states have come to this conclusion. The Missouri study, which now will not happen, probably would have confirmed what we already know: that the death penalty is very expensive. What might have come as a surprise (and so have made the study worth doing) is just how expensive it really is.

We could make putting people death less expensive and less time-consuming, but doing so would also have its costs. We could get rid of the many layers of appeals for death sentences, give death-eligible defendants barely adequate counsel (something which we sometimes do even now), and in the process go back on years of Supreme Court precedent. This is what China, where I've been teaching for the past year, does; and the death penalty there is cheap. Florida's legislature has recently passed a bill requiring "timely executions."

This isn't the direction America as a whole is going -- but that doesn't mean we (America or Missouri) will be getting rid of the death penalty anytime soon, either. What is going on may be what the Supreme Court has called our "evolving standards of decency." The meaning of that phrase has never been entirely clear, but we can see in the back and forth of the last few months that evolution working itself out.

Particular crimes outrage us, and the death penalty seems an appropriate punishment. But then, and almost at the same time, we question the wisdom of the death penalty as policy. So we chip away, slowly, at the death penalty, removing some crimes and some criminals from its ambit, but never getting rid of the penalty altogether. Our standards of what is decent when it comes to the death penalty "evolve."

This strikes me as a story of progress. For some it may be too slow, for others it may not be slow enough: hence our collective ambivalence. But it seems unquestionable that it is happening.

(source: Commentary; Chad Flanders is an assistant professor at St. Louis University....St. Louis Beacon)

********************

S/V Quest: Somali 'pirates' set for US deaths trial; Jean and Scott Adam were shot dead, along with 2 passengers

The trial of 3 alleged Somali pirates charged with the 2011 murder of 4 Americans aboard a yacht off the coast of East Africa is set to begin.

Ahmed Muse Salad, Abukar Osman Beyle and Shani Nurani Shiekh Abrar face the death penalty if convicted of murder, kidnapping and other charges.

The owners of the S/V Quest and 2 others were taken hostage for ransom as they sailed around the world.

They were killed as rescue negotiations with the US Navy broke down.

The 3 are accused of maintaining an armed guard over the Americans and intentionally shooting and killing them "without provocation before the hostages could be rescued by members of the military".

11 other men have pleaded guilty to piracy in the case and have been sentenced to life in prison. They are expected to testify in federal court in Virginia against the 3 charged with murder in exchange for the possibility of reduced sentences.

Rocket-propelled grenade

Jury selection began on Tuesday in Norfolk, Virginia, home to the US Navy's Atlantic fleet. The trial is expected to last 5 to 6 weeks.

The 3 accused Somalis followed the court proceedings with the help of 2 simultaneous interpreters.

About 100 people are on the list of potential witnesses, including US military personnel, FBI agents, forensic experts, relatives of the deceased and Somali nationals.

Jean and Scott Adam and their guests Bob Riggle and Phyllis Macay were the first US citizens killed in a wave of pirate attacks that plagued the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean in recent years.

Their yacht was boarded off the coast of East Africa on 18 February 2011 by 19 men seeking to ransom the Americans for millions of dollars, US authorities said.

Within days the US warship USS Sterett intercepted the stolen yacht as it sailed toward Somalia.

According to the indictment, Shani Nurani Shiekh Abrar fired a gun over Scott Adam's head and ordered him to warn the Navy the hostages would be executed if the ship ventured any closer to the captured yacht.

The Navy offered to let the pirates keep the yacht in exchange for the hostages, according to court records. When the Somali man negotiating with the Navy refused, he was arrested.

Then, one of the men aboard the S/V Quest fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the Sterett and the US sailors heard gunfire from the yacht. Special forces fighters boarded the vessel and found the Americans had been killed, the military said.

US Attorney General Eric Holder made the decision to seek the death penalty in the case.

(source: BBC News)

US MILITARY:

Army judge to decide whether to accept guilty plea from US soldier in Afghan massacre

The American soldier charged with killing 16 Afghan civilians during nighttime raids on 2 slumbering villages last year is expected to recount the horrific slaughter in a military courtroom Wednesday when he pleads guilty to avoid the death penalty.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is charged with premeditated murder and other counts in the March 2012 attacks near the remote base in southern Afghanistan where he was posted.

Most of the victims were women and children, and some of the bodies were burned; relatives have told The Associated Press they are irate at the notion Bales will escape execution for one of the worst atrocities of the Afghanistan war.

Under the terms of his agreement with Army prosecutors, Bales will plead guilty Wednesday at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle, and a sentencing-phase trial will be held this summer to determine whether he receives life in prison with the possibility of parole, or without it.

Bales' attorney, John Henry Browne, said Tuesday he expects the judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, to question the soldier closely about what happened before deciding whether to accept the plea. It's unclear whether Nance will make a decision Wednesday.

"Tomorrow is going to be about what happened, then in August is going to be a jury trial about why it happened," Browne said. "Obviously, avoiding the death penalty is our No. 1 goal. We've accomplished that, assuming the judge accepts the plea, and we believe he will."

Bales, 39, a father of 2 from Lake Tapps, has signed a detailed stipulation of facts acknowledging his actions, Browne said. However, the document remains under seal, and the lawyer declined to provide details about it.

Browne said last week that Bales was "crazed" and "broken" but not legally insane at the time of the killings.

Although Wednesday's proceedings will provide Bales' account for the 1st time, survivors who testified by video link from Afghanistan during a hearing last fall vividly recalled the carnage.

A young girl in a bright headscarf described hiding behind her father as he was shot to death. Boys told of hiding behind curtains as others scrambled and begged the soldier to spare them, yelling: "We are children! We are children!" A thick-bearded man told of being shot in the neck by a gunman "as close as this bottle," gesturing to a water bottle on a table in front of him.

Prosecutors say that before dawn on March 11, 2012, Bales slipped away from Camp Belambay in Kandahar Province, armed with a 9 mm pistol and M-4 rifle outfitted with a grenade launcher.

He first attacked 1 village of mud-walled compounds, Alkozai, then returned to the base, woke up a fellow soldier and told him about it. The soldier didn't believe him and went back to sleep. Bales then left to attack a 2nd village, Najiban.

The massacre prompted such angry protests that the U.S. temporarily halted combat operations in Afghanistan, and it was 3 weeks before Army investigators could reach the crime scene.

Bales was serving his 4th combat deployment and had an otherwise good if undistinguished military record in a decade-long career. The Ohio native suffered from PTSD and a traumatic brain injury, his lawyers say, and he had been drinking contraband alcohol and snorting Valium - both provided by other soldiers - the night of the killings.

The case raised questions about the toll multiple deployments were taking on American troops. For that reason, many legal experts believed it was unlikely he would receive the death penalty, as Army prosecutors were seeking. The military justice system hasn't executed anyone since 1961, but 5 men currently face death sentences.

"Any time you can strike a deal that saves your client's life, I would call that a win," said Dan Conway, a civilian military defense lawyer who is not involved in the case. "This is the right result for both parties."

(source: Associated Press)

**********************

Fort Hood Suspect Says Rampage Was to Defend Afghan Taliban Leaders

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people, told a judge on Tuesday that he believed he was defending the lives of the Taliban leadership in Afghanistan from American military personnel when he went on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood here in November 2009.

Major Hasan's remarks were the 1st public explanation about the motive for one of the deadliest mass shootings at an American military base. His comments came a day after the judge granted his request to release his court-appointed military lawyers so that he could represent himself.

On Monday, one of Major Hasan's 1st legal maneuvers had been to ask the judge, Col. Tara A. Osborn, for a 3-month delay in his trial, scheduled to begin on July 1. His primary reason in asking for the delay was to change his defense to a "defense of others." At a new hearing on Tuesday, Colonel Osborn asked him pointedly whom he was defending.

"The leadership of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, the Taliban," he said, specifically naming Mullah Muhammad Omar, the founder of the Islamic insurgent group.

His comments, delivered in a soft, matter-of-fact tone, stunned many in the courtroom. Seated in the gallery behind him were Army soldiers, military police officers and relatives of some of his victims. Colonel Osborn then asked him to explain his defense, and Major Hasan asked for a recess to gather his thoughts.

When the hearing resumed a few minutes later, the judge again asked him to explain the facts supporting his defense, and he said he preferred to submit his thoughts in written form. "I don't want to brainstorm in front of the court," he told her.

But the judge pressed him further. When she asked if he was defending one person or a group of people, he said it was the group of Taliban leaders in Afghanistan, including Mullah Omar. The judge asked him to explain the connection between the Taliban leaders and the people he is accused of murdering and attempting to murder.

"They're part of the United States military," he said.

The judge delayed the start of jury selection, which had been set to begin on Wednesday, to give Major Hasan one day to find the legal authority to apply such a defense to his case. He was ordered to submit a brief to the judge by Wednesday morning, and Army prosecutors were asked to submit their own brief in response. Colonel Osborn did not rule on whether to grant Major Hasan's request for a delay, but instead set another hearing for Wednesday afternoon to further discuss the "defense of others" issue.

The "defense of others" strategy requires a criminal defendant to prove that he was compelled to use force against an aggressor to protect a person or a group from being harmed or killed by that aggressor. In this case, Major Hasan is claiming that he was protecting Taliban leaders from death by using deadly force against Fort Hood military personnel deploying to Afghanistan.

The defense is not typically used in military trials, and Colonel Osborn seemed to question whether Major Hasan had any facts or evidence to support such a defense.

Military legal experts called his theory ludicrous and said it fell outside the legal parameters of "defense of others" cases. They said that those with a legitimate "defense of others" case must prove that the people being protected were victims of unlawful force and were facing an immediate threat or danger. Those 2 elements do not apply to the Fort Hood shooting, they said, because Taliban leaders were lawful objects of attack and faced no immediate threat from anyone at Fort Hood that day.

"I think the defense in this context makes no sense at all," said Richard Rosen, the director of the Center for Military Law and Policy at the Texas Tech University School of Law in Lubbock. "These people were unarmed. They were thousands of miles from the battlefield," he said. "If the Taliban leadership were present at the time of the shooting, I suppose then you might be able to raise the defense, but even then I think it would not fly."

On Tuesday, 2 of Major Hasan's former lawyers sat at the defense table with him, and a third sat behind him. The judge had ordered them to remain as standby counsel, and Major Hasan frequently asked questions of his former lead lawyer, Lt. Col. Kris R. Poppe, throughout the hearing.

Major Hasan is accused of killing 13 people and wounding more than 30 others at the Fort Hood base on Nov. 5, 2009. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

His role in the attack has never been in dispute, and much of the courtroom activity at his pretrial hearings in recent months has centered on procedural matters. In the past, he had offered to plead guilty to the charges. Military law prohibits defendants charged in capital punishment cases from pleading guilty, and it was unlikely that Army prosecutors would drop their pursuit of the death penalty in order for him to plead guilty.

(source: New York Times)