postings to this listserve will resume on Sunday, Oct. 13

Oct. 10

CANADA:

Silence From Conservatives on World Day Against the Death Penalty

Within days of my appointment as Justice spokesperson for the Liberal Party of Canada, the Conservative attack and propaganda machine launched a fundraising letter "welcoming" me to my new position and kindly providing me with a subsidiary title: "Trudeau's chief soft on crime spokesman."

For the record: I am not soft on crime. However, agreeing with the so called Conservative crime agenda would arguably make me "dumb on crime." I will gladly concede the latter to my opponents as I value facts, evidence and truth. Then again, being accused of being soft on crime by a government with multiple ongoing investigations by the RCMP and Elections Canada for various ethics violations, is a bit rich.

Since 2006, the Conservatives have launched a wholesale attack on Canada's Criminal Code. Compliant backbench MPs submit private members' bills claiming to "fight this or that" or "combatting such and such," or suggesting they are "standing up for so and so." It is the illusion of doing something when they are in fact doing little -- raising money is the real goal.

These Conservative bills rarely tackle major issues and sometimes duplicate already existing criminal offences. One wonders though, if any Conservative backbench MP will propose a bill calling for mandatory minimums for election fraud.

The Conservative Party of Canada is less concerned about actually "tackling crime" or "fighting for victims" than they are about using slogans as marketing techniques to raise money.

And while today we mark World Day Against The Death Penalty -- it will be greeted with silence from official Conservative Ottawa. There will be no fundraising letter on this issue.

Although most countries in the world have moved away from this form of state-sanctioned punishment, hope lingers among some Conservatives in Canada that one day the death penalty will return. After all, the current Justice Minister once supported the death penalty -- saying "the option should be there." It is not clear how he feels about the matter today.

I am against the death penalty. I believe there is an inherent value to the human being. This extends even to those whose actions against others are repulsive and result in pain and suffering for victims and their families. That is why the justice system must be firm, tough and consistent when it comes to violent criminals.

Moreover, we know the justice system is not perfect. We have far too many examples of people who have been wrongly convicted, only to be found innocent later. The death penalty is final; there is no appeal when you are dead -- despite the discovery later, perhaps, of new evidence.

Today, I join with millions of people across the globe as we mark World Day Against The Death Penalty. The taking of one's life, as a remedy for the criminal behaviour of another, is not justified or permissible in Canada, nor should it be. This position may very well result in more accusations of being "soft" on crime, but in those moments I am simply obliged, as they say, to consider the source.

(source: Sean Casey QC, MP, is the Liberal Member of Parliament for Charlottetown, and Liberal Party of Canada spokesperson for Justice Issues; Huffington Post)

GAZA:

Gaza protesters demand death penalty as anti-NGOs meet

Death penalty supporters protested in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday outside a conference calling for its abolition, days after Hamas hanged a convicted murderer.

Relatives of murder victims held aloft pictures of their loved ones, demanding the execution of imprisoned suspects, while human rights groups in the coastal territory marked World Day against the Death Penalty.

"The death penalty is Islamic law - implement it against all criminals," one banner read.

On October 2, Hamas hanged Hani Abu Aliyan, a 28-year-old who had been convicted for murder.

"The death penalty is fair, it's a balanced outcome," said Shayma Tilbani, 17, whose brother was killed at his home in an attempted burglary in August.

"The NGOs want to stop the criminals getting executed, but even life in prison is not the right punishment. We want a punishment based on the Quran," she told AFP.

Mohammed Shurab, spokesman for Gaza's "Families of the Victims" movement, urged "the government in Gaza led by (prime minister) Ismail Haniya to continue carrying out the death sentence against those who are killing our sons."

But speakers at the conference said the death penalty went against both international humanitarian law and the principles of Islam.

"Islam doesn't allow the death penalty or the killing of anyone," said Suleiman Awda, a lecturer in Islamic law at Gaza's Al-Azhar University.

"It is a religion of forgiveness."

UN human rights delegate Pradeep Wagle expressed concern over Hamas' use of capital punishment, warning in particular of the dangers of mistakenly sentencing a suspect.

"Human failure is always possible irrespective of how developed a justice system is and there is always the possibility of executing innocent people in any justice system," he said.

Saeed al-Madhun, from the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, warned it was "not possible to correct a mistake... There's no going back once the death penalty has been carried out."

Last week's hanging was the 1st time since July 2012 that Hamas has carried out capital punishment for murder.

But on June 22, the Islamist movement hanged two men accused of collaborating with Israel.

Under Palestinian law, collaboration with Israel, murder and drug trafficking are all punishable by death.

Hamas has executed 17 people since taking over Gaza in 2007, according to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights.

(source: Agence France-Presse)

***********************

Supporters, opponents of death penalty wrangle in Gaza; Protesters say that capital punishment is part of Islamic law; NGO speakers say it goes against Islamic and international norms

Death penalty supporters in the Gaza Strip rallied Wednesday outside a conference marking the World Day Against the Death Penalty, just days after the most recent execution in the Hamas-ruled coastal enclave.

"The death penalty is fair; it's a balanced outcome," Shayma Tilbani, 17, was quoted in an AFP news agency report as saying. 'The NGOs want to stop the criminals getting executed, but even life in prison is not the right punishment. We want a punishment based on the Koran."

Tilbani's brother was killed at his home in an attempted burglary in August, the report said.

Protesters, including relatives of murder victims, gathered outside the conference holding aloft posters with pictures of murdered family members and slogans promoting the death penalty.

"The death penalty is Islamic law - implement it against all criminals," one sign reportedly read.

Speakers at the conference countered that the death penalty goes against both international humanitarian law and Islamic law.

"Islam doesn't allow the death penalty or the killing of anyone," Suleiman Awda, a lecturer in Islamic law at Gaza's Al-Azhar University, was quoted as saying. "It is a religion of forgiveness."

UN human rights delegate Pradeep Wagle warned of the dangers of executing people wrongly convicted of crimes.

"Human failure is always possible irrespective of how developed a justice system is and there is always the possibility of executing innocent people in any justice system," he reportedly said.

Last Wednesday, Hamas, the ruling authority in the Gaza Strip, hanged Hani Abu Aliyan, 28, who was convicted of murders he had committed as a minor.

In May 2010, Abu Aliyan was sentenced separately for killings carried out in 2000 - when he was still a minor - and in 2009, in the latter case for "involuntary murder," and received a life term for each crime, Human Rights Watch said. The prosecutor's office appealed the sentences as too lenient, and an appeals court imposed the death penalty in both cases in September. Gaza's highest court upheld the decision in July.

In August, Human Rights Watch campaigned for Hamas to stay all its planned executions, including Abu Aliyan's, alleging that Gaza's justice system is deeply flawed and that prisoners were executed in the past despite unfair trials based on forced confessions and violations of basic rights.

"Imposing the death penalty for a crime committed by a child makes the executions under Gaza's abusive justice system especially atrocious," said Joe Stork, acting Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay echoed that sentiment in comments she made in August condemning executions in Gaza.

"One absolute requirement is that the death penalty can only be imposed after a fair trial. This is currently not possible in Gaza, neither legally nor practically," Pillay said in a statement.

Abu Aliyan's execution was publicly condemned by the European Union missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah as well as by the Palestinian Center for Human Rights.

Hamas has executed 17 people since taking over the Gaza Strip in 2007, according to the PCHR. Last week marked the 1st time somebody has been executed for murder since July 2012. However, in June, two men were executed for "collaborating" with Israel.

(source: The Times of Israel)

IRAQ----executions

Iraq executes 42 'terrorism' convicts in a week

Iraq has executed 42 "terrorism" convicts over the past week, the justice minister said on Thursday, defying condemnation of its extensive use of the death penalty as violence intensifies.

"In the course of the past week, the ministry has carried out the death sentences handed down against 42 people, one of them a woman, who were all convicted of terrorism offences, in accordance with Article 4 of the anti-terrorism law," Hassan al-Shammari said.

The latest executions take to at least 132 the number of people who have been put to death in Iraq this year, according to an AFP tally based on reports from the justice ministry and officials.

Iraq executed 23 people on two days in September, 20 of them convicted on terrorism charges, the ministry said on October 1.

The growing resort to the death penalty comes as violence in Iraq has reached a level not seen since 2008, when the country was just emerging from a brutal sectarian conflict.

More than 230 people have been killed so far this month, and more than 4,900 since the beginning of the year, according to AFP figures based on security and medical sources.

But the executions, which in Iraq are usually carried out by hanging, have drawn widespread condemnation from the European Union, the United Nations and human rights watchdogs.

UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said this year that Iraq's criminal justice system was "not functioning adequately".

She highlighted "numerous convictions based on confessions obtained under torture and ill-treatment, a weak judiciary and trial proceedings that fall short of international standards."

"The application of the death penalty in these circumstances is unconscionable, as any miscarriage of justice as a result of capital punishment cannot be undone," Pillay said.

But the justice minister insisted that the executions were only carried out after an exhaustive legal process.

"The death sentences handed down against those condemned were the object of multiple appeals... to make sure of the soundness of the convictions," the minister said.

Those executed were found guilty of involvement in "terrorism crimes that caused the deaths of several dozen innocent civilians, beyond the crimes of seeking to destabilise the country, spread anarchy and sow terror among the public."

(source: Agence France-Presse)

***********************

Iraq courts sentence 42 terror suspects to death penalty in 1 week

The death penalty has been taken out on 42 people convicted of terrorism during the past week in Iraq, its Ministry of Justice said on Thursday.

One woman is among those who have received the sentence, carried out upon "the approval of the presidency and according to a 'peremptory challenge'," according to a ministry statement.

"The death sentences taken out on the convicts have been appealed several times by the Court of Cassation in order to assess the accuracy of these sentences categorically," Justice Minister Hassan Al-Shemmeri was quoted as saying.

Those sentenced, he described as "criminals", are convicted of "terrorist activities that killed dozens of innocent people and other crimes aimed at destabilising the security and stability of the nation, and causing chaos and fear," he concluded.

(source: KUNA)

CAMBODIA:

Where Cambodia can lead

On this 10th of October, citizens of the world will acknowledge the progress made globally in human dignity and civilisation by celebrating the 11th World Day against the Death Penalty.

The death penalty undermines human dignity and is irreconcilable with human rights, in particular the most sacred of all human rights: the right to life. The death penalty invariably entails cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in violation of international law. The death penalty fails to provide deterrence to criminal behaviour, and its application is marred with opacity, inequity and discrimination. Any miscarriage of justice - inevitable in any legal system - is irreversible.

It is therefore encouraging that the global trend towards abolition continues to be positive. Over the last 20 years, the number of countries that have abolished the death penalty by law for all crimes has grown from 55 to 97. Today, more than 150 countries - more than 2/3 of the countries of the world - have abolished the death penalty or do not practice it. The United Nations General Assembly adopted for the 4th time last December a resolution on moratoriums on the use of the death penalty, aiming to abolish it, once again with an increased number of states voting in favour, including Cambodia.

But we cannot sit content with the progress. There are, also, worrying developments. Several states have resumed executions, including states with long-standing de facto moratoriums; others have reintroduced the use of the death penalty or extended its scope in their legislation.

It is in such context that the voice against the death penalty should always be stronger.

"It is crucial that leaders champion abolition, and encourage their neighbours and allies to follow the same path. Even though the great majority of states no longer apply the death penalty, this majority does not speak with a sufficiently strong and united voice," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay stressed at the 5th World Congress against the Death Penalty last June.

The Kingdom of Cambodia continues to be an example in the fight against the death penalty and can be legitimately proud of the way it has drawn on lessons from the past and became a respected regional abolitionist, both by law and by conviction. Cambodia is a country of deep civilisation and culture. It is 1 of only 2 countries to have abolished capital punishment in ASEAN and has the longest continuous period of abolition, having banned the death penalty for all crimes in 1989.

As such, the kingdom sets an example to the whole region. In recent years, the Royal Government of Cambodia has repeatedly reaffirmed its commitment to the abolition of the death penalty by consistently voting in favour of the 4 UN General Assembly resolutions on a moratorium on the use of the death penalty in 2007, 2008, 2010 and December 2012.

Both the European Union and the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights would like to strongly commend Cambodia for this. We would also welcome Cambodia entrenching its stand against the death penalty, regionally and internationally, by becoming party to the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, on the permanent abolition of the death penalty.

The EU holds a strong and principled position against the death penalty and its abolition worldwide represents one of the main objectives of its human rights policy. The EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission Catherine Ashton declared in a speech in the European Parliament: "Looking ahead, I want to see what more we can do to support the abolition of the death penalty world-wide. I want to assure this house that work on abolishing the death penalty is a personal priority for me. And I will see to it that work advances both bilaterally and in multi-lateral fora, beginning with the UN in September."

Worldwide, the EU joins forces with other international organisations and multilateral bodies active in promoting the abolition of the death penalty, in particular the UN system. Both jointly and separately, the UN and the EU support efforts to restrict the use of, to establish a moratorium on, and to permanently abolish of the death penalty.

ASEAN countries regrettably maintain divergent policies when it comes to the death penalty. Half of its members have abolished it, either in law - Cambodia and the Philippines - or in practice - Myanmar, Laos and Brunei. But the other half is still retentionist, even though Singapore among them recently observed a short moratorium before introducing some restrictions on the use of the death penalty. More than ever, the EU and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights in Cambodia reiterate their appreciation for Cambodia's support for a global moratorium. We encourage the kingdom to be a leader in working towards a regional moratorium on the death penalty at ASEAN level.

(source: Jean-Francois Cautain is the ambassador of the European Union to Cambodia. Wan-Hea Lee is the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights representative in Cambodia; Opinion, Phnon Penh Post)

AUSTRALIA:

Parramatta vigil against death penalty

A candlelight vigil to mark World Day Against the Death Penalty will be held outside Parramatta Town Hall this Saturday.

Convenor of Amnesty Parramatta Bela Moore said the initiative is to voice opposition against the 21 countries that still use this form of punishment and raise awareness of the 23,000 people currently on death row around the world including two Australians in Indonesia.

"The death penalty is an inhumane practice that should be abolished. The more people that stand up and are counted on the issue, the more likely we will be heard and action will be taken," Ms Moore said.

The event is just one of many by Amnesty International to abolish the death penalty, and Moore said the day will feature live music and art.

"It should be an informative and entertaining day in which the community can get involved with their local Amnesty groups and learn more about human rights and the death penalty."

Details: October 12, 11-2pm, 182 Church Street, Parramatta, NSW (outside Parramatta Town Hall), amnesty.org.au/nsw/event/32759/

(source: Parramatta Sun)

CHINA:

Death penalty in China linked to social inequality, say critics; Beijing has made some strides in reforming how death penalty gets meted out, but experts say more transparency is needed in system

Early on the morning of September 25, representatives from a Shenyang court in Liaoning province went to the home of Zhang Jing with news her husband, Xia Junfeng, would be executed in a few hours. She should go to the detention centre to say her good-byes, they said.

Xia, who sold roasted sausages and other snacks on the street after losing his factory job, was convicted of "intentional homicide" in the stabbing death of 2 urban management officers in 2009 after they beat him. He insists he acted in self-defence.

Despite a long review of his case by the Supreme People's Court, the death sentence was upheld. "As long as there is still one person back at my home, tell them not to give up appealing for me," Xia said in his last words to his wife, she later told the South China Morning Post.

Xia wanted to have a final photo taken with his family, but officials refused. "How could you be so cruel?" Zhang said on her microblog.

Gu Kailai , 53-year-old daughter of a Communist Party elder, was also convicted of "intentional homicide". She poured rat poison and cyanide mixed in water down the throat of drunken British businessman Neil Heywood in a room at the Lucky Holiday Hotel on November 14, 2011, in Chongqing , where Gu's husband, Bo Xilai served as party boss.

She received a suspended death sentence last year, and could be released from jail after serving nine years, on the grounds of medical parole, according to the Dui Hua Foundation, a US-based group that pushes for human rights and legal reforms on the mainland.

Today is "World Day Against the Death Penalty", an initiative launched in 2002 by an alliance of more than 145 non-governmental groups aiming to get rid of capital punishment. While the mainland has taken significant steps in recent years to limit the number of people its courts sentence to death, observers agree a ban is a long way off. Judicial officials often say the concept of "a life for a life" remains ingrained in society, and the nation is at a stage of development where the death penalty is necessary as a deterrent.

There are key differences between the cases of Xia and Gu, her mental health was taken into account by the court for instance, but they help to illustrate what lawyers and activists say is an unfair application of capital punishment on the mainland.

Mao Lixin, a Beijing-based criminal lawyer, said capital punishment was linked to social inequality. Defendants lower on the economic ladder often lacked the resources to hire the legal assistance they deserved, Mao said. "Xia's case is a classic example [of this] when compared to that of Gu," he said.

Rights lawyer Liu Xiaoyuan agreed. "In cases like Xia's, a suspended death penalty is more than enough, but he was nevertheless given a harsh sentence," Liu said. "It seems the sentence is most often imposed for violent crimes, especially in cases where civilians have clashed with the government or where law enforcement officers were attacked."

When it comes to corrupt officials, the courts have often taken a different approach. In July, former railway minister Liu Zhijun was found guilty of taking bribes and other gifts worth 64.6 million yuan (HK$81.6 million) in addition to helping get 11 people promoted in exchange for favours.

Liu received a suspended death sentence, which could be commuted to life imprisonment with good behaviour. His term could be subsequently reduced to as little as 13 years if he is not cited for further lapses.

"The death penalty can be imposed on officials who received bribes worth more than 100,000 yuan," Liu said. "However, in recent cases, toppled officials, including Liu who took bribes worth tens of millions of yuan, were not sentenced to death."

The death penalty can be imposed on officials who received bribes worth more than 100,000 yuan. In recent cases, toppled officials, including Liu who took bribes worth tens of millions of yuan, were not sentenced to death.

Rights lawyer Liu Xiaoyuan

His case contrasts with that of former Hunan tycoon Zeng Chengjie, who was executed by firing squad in July after being found guilty of illegally raising 3.4 billion yuan and defrauding investors.

Currently, 158 countries in the world have abolished or are no longer imposing the death penalty. China puts to death more people than any other country, although Iran and Singapore have higher per capita execution rates.

It is impossible to accurately state how many people are being executed on the mainland every year as the number remains a state secret. The Dui Hua Foundation estimated there were 4,000 executions in 2011 and 3,000 last year, using information provided by Professor William Schabas who is an international criminal law and human rights scholar with honorary professorship at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

10 years ago, the figure was thought to be as high as 12,000.

"It's hard to say whether 3,000 is an underestimate because no knows the real figures besides the state," Mao said. "The international community has been pushing China to disclose statistics over its use of the death penalty," he said, noting countries such as Vietnam and North Korea also kept death penalty figures secret.

In recent years, mainland authorities have rolled out measures aimed at reducing the use of capital punishment, most notably passing a law in 2006 that required the Supreme People's Court to approve each death sentence. The government has also shortened the long list of crimes punishable by death, from 68 to 55. But, even if a ban is not likely soon, there are additional reforms authorities can enact.

"Introducing transparency into the process of capital punishment is the first step in fostering a national discussion on whether to abolish the death penalty," Mao said.

Many legal professionals have called for the review procedure to be made more open, with more detailed rules. At present, there is no time frame within which a review must take place. Family members are often only notified of the decision when they are called in to meet the defendant one last time.

The review is also done in an internal meeting, instead of an open hearing. And while the judges should meet a defence lawyer if asked, that does not always happen.

One of the strongest arguments against capital punishment is the possibility that an innocent person would be wrongly put to death. Last month, the Higher People's Court in Hebei rejected an appeal by Wang Shujin based on his confession to the rape and murder of a woman, whose body was found in a cornfield in Shijiazhuang in 1994. Nie Shubin, another Hebei man, was convicted of the murder and executed in 1995, at age 20.

Disappointed at the ruling, 40 lawyers published an open letter "strongly condemning" the Hebei court for upholding Wang's death sentence and rejecting his confession, blocking a possible review of Nie's case.

"The consequences of a wrongful conviction in which a person is put to death cannot be reversed. This is a factor that will likely sway society against the death penalty," Mao said.

He urged the government to step up education and establish alternatives to the death sentence, such as harsher life imprisonment.

(source: South China Morning Post)

BANGLADESH:

Abolish death penalty: EU Tribune Report

9 ambassadors of EU member countries issued a statement to mark World Day against the Death Penalty The European Union (EU) has urged Bangladesh to take action to establish a moratorium on executions with a view to abolishing the death penalty. N9 ambassadors of EU member countries issued a statement to mark European Day against the Death Penalty and World Day against the Death Penalty on Thursday.

"The European Union reaffirms its absolute opposition to the use of the death penalty," the statement said. Referring to the UN General Assembly Resolution 65/206, it said: "All members of the UN including Bangladesh will take the actions which the resolution calls for, and thereby contribute more to the development of fundamental rights and human dignity in the world," it said. The resolution adopted in 2010 is on moratorium on the use of the death penalty. Signatories of the statement are Swedish Ambassador Anneli Lindahl Kenny, Italian Ambassador Giorgio Guglielmino, Spanish Ambassador Luis Tejada Chacon, British High Commissioner Robert Gibson, French Ambassador Michel Trinquier, Dutch Ambassador Gerben Sjoerd de Jong, German Ambassador Albrecht Conze, Danish Ambassador Hanne Fugl Eskjaer and EU Ambassador William Hanna.

(source: Dhaka Tribune)

PAKISTAN:

HRCP opposes generalized application of death penalty

Speakers and participants at a seminar organised by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) on Thursday unanimously opposed a generalized application of the death penalty and were also in agreement that in over 2 dozen capital offences on the statute books the death penalty was not mandated by Islam.

At the day-long seminar in Islamabad on October 10, World Day against the Death Penalty, entitled 'death penalty in Pakistan: the way forward', speakers from Pakistan and abroad discussed the various aspects of capital punishment.

Professor Roger Hood, Professor Emeritus of Criminology at the Universityof Oxford, in his keynote address covered the various aspects application of the death penalty and the abolitionist movement worldwide.

Maryam Haq Advocate, from Justice Project Pakistan, highlighted the pervasive miscarriage of justice that those charged with death penalty offences suffered. Saroop Ijaz Advocate recounted the problems of criminal justice from the perspective of a defence attorney. Anees Jillani Advocate made the case for the juveniles though he opposed abolition of the death penalty.

Aslam Khaki Advocate presented the Islamic point of view on the death penalty and agreed that death penalty death penalty for many offences could be abolished. Arthur Wilson made the case for justice for reconciliation and reformation and not for retribution. This was followed by accounts of families of death row convicts. The participants included legal practitioners, and civil society organistions??? representatives.

Several speakers called continuation of the moratorium on executions in Pakistan a welcome step for which the government deserved the praise it was getting.

Kamran Arif, the HRCP co-chairperson, chaired the event shared his views on the death penalty and his experience as a lawyer and a rights activist. HRCP Secretary General I.A. Rehman explained the Commission's commitment to the right to life for all and the importance for discussing this important subject.

(source: Human Rights Commission of Pakistan)

*************************

SC moved to convert death penalty into imprisonment

A constitutional petition was filed in the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday seeking conversion of 450 prisoners' death penalty into imprisonment by cancelling their death warrants.

Dr Muhammad Aslam Khaki, advocate of the Supreme Court and jurist consultant of Federal Shariat Court has filed the petition under Article 184(3) of the Constitution, making federation, Ministry of Interior as well as four provincial governments through their home secretaries as respondents.

The petitioner prayed to the court to waive the death penalty of 450 death row prisoners in Pakistani jails who had gone through rigorous imprisonment for the years.

He submitted that in 2008, the government without the application or request from such prisoners suspended the execution and the situation was the same even today. There was no fault of the prisoners to remain in such an uncertain situation, he contended.

He submitted that the death prisoners in Pakistan and especially the said 450 prisoners had undergone additional punishment of long rigorous imprisonment and the torture of death cells and if the death penalty was executed to them, it would be excess of the punishment. "The said execution of death penalty is addition to the rigorous imprisonment which would amount to double punishment and would be against the fundamental rights and laws", the petitioner contended.

He prayed to the court that the families of these prisoners had been waiting for the punishment for the last 5 years and consequently had been in deep physical, mental and psychological torture, therefore, their death penalty might be converted into imprisonment by cancelling their death warrants.

(source: The News)

*****************

The government must abolish the death penalty and amend the Constitution accordingly

On October 3, the Government of Pakistan made a move towards respecting human rights and announced its decision to renew the moratorium on the death penalty. This decision came in response to a great deal of international pressure from NGOs and media outlets calling on Pakistan to respect the right to life. The moratorium had been in place since 2008 when the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) took office, and expired on June 30, 2013. In an attempt to crackdown on criminal activity and terrorism, the new leadership under the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) was set to begin executions in August of this year.

For the time being, the decision to reinstate the moratorium saves the lives of over 8,000 inmates currently on death row. This indicates a positive step by the government to make recognizable changes in regard to protecting human rights.

The death penalty is often the result of the absence of fair trial an issue that continues to plague Pakistan. Pakistan cannot even minimally guarantee the right to fair trial and due process as prescribed under Article 10A of the Constitution of Pakistan and Article 14 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Even within most countries widely believed to have a fair trial process, the death penalty has been abolished in light of the possibility that innocent people could be put to death. It is dangerous to allow the death penalty to continue under a judicial system that cannot guarantee its people a fair and impartial trial.

Corruption and bribery still play a significant role in Pakistan and all too often the wealthy are able to buy their way out of trouble while the poor, often innocent of the charges they face, are left to their fate. Pakistan continues to fail to meet the basic requirements of guaranteeing an impartial trial, adequate legal representation, and independence of the judiciary from outside influence, including pressure from the government itself.

The Qisas and Diyat Ordinance, which allows for families of victims to accept 'blood money', further muddles the judicial process as criminals with money are able to pay their way out of crimes such as murder.

In Pakistan, with a shaky and often corrupt trial process, there are 27 crimes that can qualify one for a life sentence; many of these are excessive and beyond the acceptable threshold for capital punishment. The definitions of these crimes are also vague and leave room for interpretation.

The Peoples' Party (PPP) has called on the new government to review the list of crimes punishable by death which include blasphemy, sex outside of marriage, smuggling of drugs, and sabotage of the railway system. These crimes extend far beyond the scope of 'most serious crimes' under which the death penalty can be awarded according to ICCPR Article 6(2).

To cement its commitment to respecting the lives of its citizens and to keep in step with international human rights norms, Pakistan must draft formal legislation abolishing the death penalty in all cases. In 2008, the government made an attempt to do this, but settled for a moratorium due to political opposition to the move.

A temporary stay of the death penalty is a laudable step but not enough to fortify Pakistan's position as an advocate and supporter of international human rights.

Should Pakistan resume executions which are usually carried out by hanging, it will face serious economic repercussions, especially in regards to free trade agreements with the EU under the Generalized Scheme of Preferences, which allows developing economies access to European markets tariff-free. GSP is only granted to countries that ratify and implement international human rights and labour standards, among others. It is not given to any country that continues to allow the death penalty.

The Asian Human Rights Commission urges Pakistan to abolish the death sentence and amend the Constitution according to international norms and standards under Article 6 of the UN ICCPR which recognises the individual's "inherent right to life" and requires it to be protected by law.

The government must also commute its current death sentence cases to sentences of life imprisonment. It is degrading for current death-row prisoners to continually face uncertainty regarding their fate. The death penalty directly contradicts the second protocol of the ICCPR and violates the Right to Life as prescribed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Killing prisoners will only serve to perpetuate violence and increases the risk of retaliation by militant groups and religious fundamentalists.

(source: Asian Human Rights Commission)

SIC urges govt to implement death penalty

HAFIZABAD-Sunni Ittehad Council President Maulana Badaruz Zaman Tarar has warned that if capital punishment was not restored, the rulers would face the wrath of Almighty Allah and the Muslims.

Addressing a press conference, he said that the people of Pakistan would not allow any government to make rules against Islamic injunctions to please their masters. He regretted the government decision to continue moratorium on the implementation of death penalty and termed it violation of Islamic law and the Constitution of Pakistan. He demanded withdrawal of the decision otherwise the SIT would give tough time to the government.

EID PLAN: Measures have been taken to maintain peace in the district during Eidul Azha days, said DCO Mansoor Qadir and DPO Muhammad Zubair Drashak.

Addressing the District Peace Committee which was attended by Ulema and notables of the area, they asked the attendees to play their role to maintain brotherly and peaceful atmosphere. The DPO said that adequate cops would be deputed at all the Eidgahs and patrolling by the police had been intensified to prevent any terrorist activity. He called upon them to shun their petty differences and keep their vigilant eye on the disruptive elements.

Later, they also addressed the meeting of interfaith harmony and said that foolproof security arrangements had been made around all the mosques and churches and Christian localities for their protection (source: The Nation)