Nov. 1

IRAN:

Executions continue in Iran under Rouhani's 'moderate' rule

2 more prisoners have been hanged in Iran - bringing the number of executions under new 'moderate' Hassan Rouhani to more than 300, according to reports from inside the regime.

One of the pair put to death on October 31 at Dizel Abad Prison in the western city Kermanshah was named Payman Qaderi, 30, who had been in prison for more than 8 years.

Among 16 other prisoners hanged in the city of Zahedan earlier this week was Ayoub Bahram-zehi, 29, who was arrested in the spring of 2010 and spent 14 months in solitary confinement in the intelligence bureau at Zahedan.

Another Arab Iranian political prisoner was tortured to death in the city of Ahvaz. His family became aware of the cause of his brutal death as they collected his body from the coroner, and noticed bruising and fractures on his ribs and a bullet wound in his arm.

*****************

Letter of executed political prisoner Habibollah Golparipour to his parents

Habibollah Golparipour, the Kurdish political prisoner, who was executed on Friday, October 25, had written a letter to his parents before his execution.

Bellow is the text of the last letter by Habobollah: "It has been 4 years that I have put a lot of burden on you. I hope you excuse the trouble I have caused you. I wish the best of luck for you all.

Tell my mother to look for me go to Abider mountain, whenever she misses me. I am always with her, so do not think of me. I would like her to be happy in the following days.I will also be happy, with her happiness. Therefore, if she wants to see me happy, she should be happy too.

My dear father, I thank you for all you have done for me. I hope you excuse me for not being a good son. I wish best of luck for all my sister and brothers and I wish you all the best life."

(source for both: NCR-Iran)

CHINA:

In China, public executions still a part of village life

The clip posted on a Chinese video-sharing website was intriguing: "Villagers watch shooting of death row inmate."

There was no information on the identity of the criminal, the crime or place and date of the execution. Chinese media did not report on it, either.

I scrutinized the hundreds of comments posted to the site and looked at the video footage from every angle. It seemed likely the execution took place in a rural area of eastern Guizhou province.

I contacted local authorities and law enforcement officials there and learned that a man was executed in a field in September of last year. It was carried out with a single pistol shot.

The village is in the mountains of Cengong county. It is surrounded by fields of corn and terraced rice paddies.

The villagers said the sentence was carried out in a field on the bank of a river.

Wang Tangjun, 61, lives close to the spot where the execution took place.

He recalled it was a gloriously sunny day when "we heard that morning there would be an execution by firing squad, and a throng of villagers rushed over."

In the video, laborers, women with parasols and mothers and their children can be seen standing on a hill and the roofs of homes overlooking the field as the death row inmate was escorted to the spot to be killed.

A dozen or so vehicles marked with the word "justice" show up, sirens blaring. They stop near thick undergrowth.

According to local law enforcement officials, 27-year-old Pan Yanlong was put to death for murdering three men, including one with whom his wife had been having an affair. The crimes were committed in 2010. Pan was born in the village of Liyuan, also in Cengong county.

He was led by 5 uniformed guards, weaving their way through the weeds. They pointed to the side of a footpath between two fields and ordered Pan to kneel. 2 seconds later a gunshot rang out. Spectators up on the hill, some laughing, ask, "Is it over already?" Just over a minute after the group arrived, Pan was dead.

His body was left where it fell. It was only retrieved later by his relatives.

Liyuan's vice mayor, 58-year-old Pan Zhuqing, said he was contacted by the authorities at 7 a.m. on the day in question and told that an execution was scheduled for 3 p.m.

Pan's parents and siblings, who are migrant workers, were not in the village, so his aunt and a number of acquaintances went to the prison to meet with him.

A neighbor, Pan Shichao, 45, said, "We barely had time to tell Pan that we had come in his parents' place since they wouldn't be able to make it in time."

"These kinds of public executions have been performed in this area for a long time," said the vice mayor, recalling that a rapist was put to death locally some 30 years ago.

A 22-year-old homemaker who lives in Liyuan recalled watching two people shot to death near a dry riverbed just over a decade ago. "I think when the government carries out an execution, they just do it wherever they feel like it. It's really sloppy."

Villagers do not seem bothered that some executions are performed in public. The condemned man's grandmother, 81-year-old Zhang Yumei, lamenting that she could not see her grandson one last time, said, "There is no loss of face just because it happened in public."

STRONG SUPPORT FOR SETTING AN EXAMPLE

Tong Zongjin, an associate professor at China University of Political Science and Law, points out that "public executions were a very regular occurrence until the 1980s." As a lingering effect of the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s and 1970s, the custom of publicly shaming suspects in so-called public trials continued long afterward in China.

The Supreme People's Court, China's highest court, however, issued a notice in 1986 banning showy public executions as a deterrent. Public executions began to cease in the 1990s, mostly in major cities like Beijing and Shanghai. The recently uploaded video drew much criticism from Internet users. One wrote, "Death row inmates deserve dignity, too."

Lethal injection and execution by firing squad are the prescribed means of carrying out death sentences in China, but there are no clear rules on where they should take place. There are also sharp regional differences in levels of education and awareness among residents of the law.

"In areas where development has been slow to come, judges, prosecutors and residents have not changed from old ways of thinking about the rule of law, democracy and human rights," says Liu Renwen, a senior member of the Department of Criminal Law at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

As villages do not have facilities to execute people, authorities in some areas continue to perform executions in outdoor locations.

The Chinese government, meanwhile, has been trying to reduce the number of executions carried out. In 2011 it abolished the death penalty for 13 non-violent economic crimes such as theft of cultural properties and smuggling.

The actual number of executions carried out in China is not made public as this is considered a "state secret."

According to estimates by the Dui Hua Foundation, a privately run organization in the United States that monitors human rights in China, there were approximately 3,000 executions in China last year. While that is less than the 10,000-plus executions carried out annually in the 1990s, it is still far more than the 682 executions in 20 countries across the globe confirmed in 2012 by international human rights group Amnesty International.

Liu, of the Department of Criminal Law, admits that abolishing the death penalty is unrealistic for now, but he argues that "the Party Central Committee should instruct officials to at least try not to execute people in front of the masses and should, from a humanitarian perspective, conduct all executions via lethal injection, which causes little pain."

(source: Asahi Shimbun)

BAHAMAS:

Execution of justice is top priority of Bahamas Government says Attorney General

Attorney-General and Minister of Legal Affairs Senator Allyson Maynard Gibson said the Government of The Bahamas is committed to conducting the most aggressive anti-crime programme that The Bahamas has ever seen. "The execution of justice is our top priority for this Government," she said. "Swift Justice is dramatically reducing the time it takes to bring criminal matters to court. All of our resources are deployed. All stops are out."

The Attorney General recalled that the death penalty was handed down in the Supreme Court in the matter of Anthony Clarke a few weeks ago and confirmed that the death penalty is being sought in the matter of Stephen "Die" Stubbs.

"We intend to fight any delays or any abuse of process with all the resources of the office," she stated.

Referring to the conviction of Kofhe Goodman, given the death penalty for the murder of Marco Archer, the Attorney General said "justice was served in the Bahamas". She addressed the media at a press briefing Tuesday, October 29 shortly after Justice Bernard Turner handed down the ruling in the Supreme Court. Vinette Graham Allen, Director of Public Prosecutions, Cleopatra Christie, Consultant, Cynthia Gibbs, Undersecretary and Garvin Gaskin, Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions attended the briefing. 11-year-old Archer was last seen alive on Sept. 23, 2011.

She asked the public to support the judges, police and prosecutors in their prayers.

The Attorney General said the result of 10 courts operating simultaneously in 2014 would be that routinely serious matters are brought to trial within a constitutionally mandated reasonable period of time of 12 months, no longer than 18 months. She pointed out that another goal of the establishment of the 10 courts is to break the backlog of cases and routinely bring matters on within a reasonable period of time.

"We hope that when people see how serious we are about prosecuting serious crime that they would continue to be the positive impact on reducing crime that we have already seen we believe will be the result of Swift Justice," the Attorney General noted.

Ms. Graham Allen said the Swift Justice initiative including working closer with the police from the initial stages of an investigation is "bearing fruit".

"We intend with the honourable AG's support, directives and guidance to improve on what we have started. We cannot say we are at the maximum level where we wish to be but we are working towards where we perfect that scenario. Best practices show that once the prosecutor gets in the mix from a report is made to the police then you will see the result that the cases are well prepared, they are well prosecuted and then the jury will speak. I always maintain the accused persons will have 1 of 2 choices either plead guilty or you're found guilty," she added.

(source: Bahama Islands Info)

MALAYSIA:

Sultan's son faces death penalty----Sabah trial set for intruders

The son of the newly crowned sultan of Sulu and 26 other Filipinos who are facing the death penalty in Sabah will stand trial before a Malaysian court on January 6, 2014 for their alleged intrusion into Malaysian territory last February.

High Court Justice Stephen Chung, who set a Nov. 1 hearing, has moved the proceedings next year, following another appeal for postponement filed by the Malaysian lawyer of the 27 Filipino suspects, according to Malaysian news agency Bernama.

The hearings on January 6-10, 15-17, 27-30 and Feb 10-14 will be held at the Sabah Prisons Department, which will be designated an open court.

Datu Amilbahar Hussin Kiram, the Sabah-based son of new Sultan Esmail Kiram II of the Sulu Sultanate, along with 26 alleged followers, had pleaded not guilty to charges of Waging War against Malaysian King Yang di-Pertuan Agong and sheltering or recruiting individuals to become members of a terrorist group during their arraignment on June 27.

The young Kiram was said to have the rank of "general" in the Sulu Sultanate's Royal Security Forces, and was charged with taking an active part in the intrusion.

In Taguig City, sultanate spokesman, Abraham Idjirani, said the new sultan is set to announce next week his 1st royal decree on the Sabah claim.

Kiram II has succeeded his elder brother Jamalul Kiram III who died on Oct. 23, 2013.

"The matters on the January 2014 trial will be part of the new decrees and the Kingdom's policies," Idjirani told Manila Standard.

The sultanate earlier called on the Philippine government to assist the detained Filipinos.

On May 15, 8 Filipinos were sentenced to life imprisonment by the Malaysian court for allegedly taking part in the intrusion.

The Sabah conflict started on February 9 when 235 followers of Kiram III sailed to Lahad Datu, Sabah, to revive the sultanate's claim over the disputed territory.

The so-called Sulu Royal Security Force was led by the sultan's brother, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram.

The Malaysian government gave the Sulu gunmen until March 1 to surrender despite President Aquino's appeal for "maximum tolerance".

The next day, the Malaysian armed forces launched an offensive resulting in the death of 68 Filipinos and 10 Malaysian soldiers and policemen.

(source: Manila Standard Today)