feel free to circulate widely

Greetings from the SMU Embrey Human Rights Program!

It is my honor to announce that the Embrey Human Rights Program has established a human rights award entitled Triumph of the Spirit. This award is designed to recognize an individual whose life and efforts have been and currently are devoted to the defense, protection, and advocacy of human
rights as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

This award represents the interconnected spirit of humanitarians around the world and a shared longing to support all of humanity. I would like to ask you for assistance in identifying and nominating worthy candidates.

Criteria for the Triumph of the Spirit Award:

- The nominee does not need to be widely known. Ordinary individuals are made extraordinary by their circumstances and by championing widespread and meaningful change.

- The nominee should have an established reputation for integrity, creativity, and dedication to human rights principles.

- The nominee must be an individual. Institutions, organizations, and groups are not eligible.

- The recipient should embody the mission of the Embrey Human Rights Program.*

This year’s deadline for nominations is January 15, 2014. The nomination form can be accessed at the following address: http://blog.smu.edu/humanrights/triumph-of-the-spirit-nominations.

Thank you for your efforts over the years to better our society and world.

There is no such thing as a lesser person.

Peace,

Rick Halperin
Director, Embrey Human Rights Program

*The mission of the Embrey Human Rights Program at Southern Methodist University is to educate students and other members of the global community to understand, promote, and defend human rights as responsible citizens of the world.