March 31

TEXAS:

Mexican national on Texas death row loses appeal at Supreme Court; Ramiro Hernandez condemned for 1997 of Glen Lich at Kerrville-area ranch

The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to review the case of a 44-year-old Mexican national set to die next week for the beating death of a man who employed him at his Kerrville-area ranch.

Attorneys for Ramiro Hernandez contended he was mentally impaired and ineligible for execution for the 1997 slaying of 48-year-old Glen Lich.

Hernandez, from Tamaulipas, Mexico, also argued he had deficient legal help at his trial, contending evidence of a previous murder conviction and prison term in Mexico was improperly allowed.

He's set for lethal injection April 9. In a related case, his attorneys are arguing in state courts the Texas prison system should be forced to identify a new source of pentobarbital used to execute him. Texas prison officials want the provider's name kept secret.

(source: Associated Press)

***********************

Texas Won't Have to Identify Its Execution-Drug Supplier After All

The last time the Texas Department of Criminal Justice secured a cache of pentobarbital, the drug it uses to execute prisoners, the Houston-area compounding pharmacy that supplied it had second thoughts.

"[I]t was my belief that this information would be kept on the 'down low,' and that it was unlikely that it would be discovered that my pharmacy provided these drugs," Dr. Joseph Lavoi of The Woodlands Compounding Pharmacy wrote once the involvement of his business was disclosed. "I find myself in the middle of a firestorm I was not advised of and did not bargain for."

Here's the thing: ethical debates about the death penalty aside, the identity of government vendors is public under state open records laws. It's one of the more bread-and-butter tenets of open government; otherwise, how to tell if taxpayer money is being well spent?

With the Lavoi-supplied pentobarbital set to expire on April 1 (TDCJ refused his demand that it return the drug), and a pair of executions looming, Texas again finds itself in the awkward position of fighting to hide the source of its new supply of execution drug.

Awkward because Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's office, which is representing the state, is the arbiter of the state's Public Information Act, which contains no exemptions for pentobarbital manufacturers. At the same time, past experience has shown that releasing their identity will hinder the state's ability to get the drug and, by extension, legally execute prisoners.

That's not what the state's actually saying, of course. Arguing last week that condemned inmates Tommy Lynn Sells (set to die April 3) and Ramiro Hernandez-Llanas (April 9) should not be told the source of the drugs that will soon be coursing through their veins, assistant AG Nicole Bunker-Henderson said the need for secrecy trumps the need for open government because "there has been a significant, real concrete threat against similarly situated pharmacists."

Maybe so, and if the threats were physical, they should be dealt with by law enforcement. But the main threat is clearly to a pharmacy's reputation which, if you're supplying execution drugs to the government, seems like fair game.

State District Judge Suzanne Covington split the baby on Thursday, ruling that the drug maker's identity should be released, but only to Sells, Hernandez-Llanas, and their lawyers. An appeals court agreed on Friday morning but, later on Friday, the Texas Supreme Court issued a stay.

A full hearing will take place in mid- to late-April, meaning that, unless Sells and Hernandez-Llanas' executions are delayed by a criminal appeals court (the Supreme Court handles only civil matters), neither man will be around to learn the final outcome.

(source: Dallas Observer)

CONNECTICUT:

Conn. lawyer for death row inmate: 'State will have to kill me before they kill my client'

A Connecticut public defender vowed the state will have to kill her before she allows it to execute her client in a triple murder case she said never should have gone to trial because the defendant is mentally ill.

Assistant Public Defender Corrie-Ann Mainville made the comments in an email to the Connecticut Post, the newspaper reported Monday. She told The Associated Press that the proclamation was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but she's serious about the appeal in the case of Richard Roszkowski.

The 49-year-old Roszkowski was convicted of killing 2 adults and a 9-year-old girl in Bridgeport in 2006. A jury recommended the death penalty 2 weeks ago after hearing testimony that Roszkowski was mentally ill, and a judge is expected to sentence him to lethal injection May 22.

Mainville says Roszkowski has a severe mental illness - paranoid delusion disorder - and was high on heroin, crack cocaine and other drugs at the time of the killings. She said he never should have been found competent to stand trial, a claim the prosecutor in the case denies.

"I will not live another peaceful day in my life until this verdict is reversed," Mainville said in the email to the newspaper. "The state will have to kill me before they kill my client. ... The state's vengeance has overcome the standards of decency and humility of civilization."

Roszkowski, a former Trumbull resident, was convicted in 2009 of capital felony and murder for gunning down his 39-year-old ex-girlfriend, Holly Flannery, her 9-year-old daughter, Kylie, and 38-year-old Thomas Gaudet on a Bridgeport street in broad daylight amid horrified onlookers. Police said Roszkowski stalked Flannery after she broke up with him and falsely believed she and Gaudet were romantically involved.

The 2009 jury decided Roszkowski should be put to death, but a judge overturned the sentence because of an error made during jury instructions and ordered a new penalty phase.

Mainville told the AP that it was "unconscionable" that the jury disregarded testimony by a psychiatrist and psychologist about Roszkowski's mental illness.

She also worries that Roszkowski won't live through the yearslong appeal process. She said he has had cancer in the past and continues to have rectal bleeding, but refuses medical treatment including a colonoscopy because he believes it would destroy evidence that prison officials are poisoning him.

She also said he refuses to eat anything other than food in sealed packages from the prison commissary, and he doesn't have much money left in his account to keep doing that.

The prosecutor, C. Robert Satti Jr., defended the state's actions.

"The state did challenge the evidence from their (mental health) experts and the jury didn't find that they met their burden of proof," he said.

Mainville also said the state shouldn't have pursued the death penalty, because Connecticut abolished capital punishment in 2012. The repeal of the death penalty only was for future murders, and the state Supreme Court is deciding whether the prospective repeal violates the constitutional rights of death row inmates still facing execution. Roszkowski became the 11th man on Connecticut's death row.

The Polish government unsuccessfully sought to block the penalty phase and urged a judge to impose a life prison sentence, because it considers Roszkowski a dual citizen and there is no death penalty in Poland. Roszkowski's parents were Polish.

(source: Associated Press)

FLORIDA:

Prosecutors to seek death penalty against Luis Toledo; Toledo charged in death of wife, her children

State prosecutors announced on Monday they will seek the death penalty against the Deltona man accused of killing his wife and her 2 children.

In a newly released 911 call, Luis Toledo allegedly confronts his wife at work about an affair hours before she goes missing on Oct. 22.

Toledo, a former Latin King gang member, is accused of killing his wife, Yessenia Suarez, and her 2 children in October. Their bodies have not been found.

Prosecutors said Toledo admitted killing his wife with a blow to her throat after learning she was allegedly involved with someone else and wanted a divorce.

Toledo claims the neighbor killed the children, but authorities said they do not believe that story.

His trial has been delayed until June.

(source: WESH news)

TENNESSEE:

Tennessee death row inmates dying of natural causes

Many inmates awaiting execution on Tennessee's death row never make it to the execution chamber.

The Tennessean reports that since 2000, 9 death row inmates have died of natural causes and 1 committed suicide. 6 have been executed.

In November, inmate Paul Dennis Reid died of heart disease in a hospital while awaiting execution for a 1997 killing spree that led to 7 deaths. The newspaper reports that the state spent nearly $600,000 on Reid's prison housing and medical costs.

Death penalty supporters say such costs prove that the criminal justice system takes too long and allows too appeals. Opponents say the costs prove that the death penalty is a waste of money and that life sentences would save taxpayers millions.

(source: Associated Press)

IDAHO:

The price of vengeance: evaluating the death penalty in Idaho

In my column in the print edition of the Inlander this week, I wrote about the Idaho Legislature's unanimous decision to begin a $33 million, 5-year investment to reduce recidivism and save the state an estimated $288 million in prison costs. It's a decision that's good for Idahoans' pocketbooks and our collective conscience. (The savings are found in part by ensuring penalties more closely match the crime committed.)

The investment was spurred by a fantastic study by the Pew Charitable Trusts and the Council of State Governments. A new report suggests another step towards justice and away from expensive vengeance would be to eliminate Idaho's death penalty.

Earlier this month, Idaho's nonpartisan Office of Performance Evaluations released their findings that sentencing a defendant to life in prison without parole is less expensive than imposing the death penalty.

They were unable to find out exactly how much is saved because of a failure to track all the associated costs of carrying out capital punishment in Idaho. However, they report, the longer appeals process for death sentence cases makes it clear that Idaho would realize significant savings by ending the practice.

It's a curious study and a part of me isn't sure that it's a good idea to be calculating the cost to society of legally killing people in dollars and cents. Still, it does raise a question: How much is vengeance worth? Specifically, how much more should we be willing to spend to try to execute someone rather than send him to prison forever?

I write "try to execute someone" because, for the most part, Idaho has been unable to carry out the vengeance it seeks.

More than $4.6 million has been spent in Idaho on capital defense costs since 1998. Presumably a similarly large sum has been spent on their prosecution. During that time, the death penalty was sought 42 times and imposed in only 7 cases - and of course some of those cases are still up for appeal.

Since 1977, when the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty, 40 people have been sentenced to death in Idaho. According to the Associated Press, of those "21 have had their sentences overturned on appeal or are no longer sentenced to death for other reasons, 12 are still appealing their cases and 4 died in prison. Just 3 were executed during that time span."

Even if vengeance is desirable, that seems like a pretty bad return on investment. In most cases, we are likely spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to achieve exactly the same result as we would have by asking for a life sentence originally.

Is it worth it? If you still say yes, at what price wouldn't it be? How much should we be willing to raise taxes so that instead of locking up 40 people for life, we lock up 37 and kill 3? How many teachers should we be willing to lay off? How many roads should go unplowed? How much is vengeance worth?

(source: Commentary; John T. Reuter, a former Sandpoint City Councilman, is the executive director of Conservation Voters for Idaho. He has been active in protecting Idaho's environment, expanding LGBT rights and the Idaho Republican Party----Inlander)