May 28

OHIO:

Judge orders temporary halt to Ohio executions

A federal judge has ordered a 2 1/2-month moratorium on executions in Ohio to allow time for arguments over the state's new lethal injection procedures.

The order delays executions scheduled for July and August while attorneys prepare filings about the state's decision to boost the dosages of its lethal injection drugs.

The 1-page order by Columbus federal judge Gregory Frost on Tuesday affects the state's latest death penalty policy change, which was announced in late April.

Ohio uses 2 drugs injected simultaneously in executions. The policy change considerably increases the amount of the sedative and raises the amount of the painkiller.

The procedure update followed the Jan. 16 execution of Dennis McGuire, who repeatedly gasped during the record 26 minutes it took him to die

(source: Associated Press)

*********************

Death penalty courses among Siegal summer offerings

A course on Ohio's death penalty will be among the summer offerings at The Laura and Alvin Siegal Lifelong Learning Program's beginning June 2 at the Siegal facility in Beachwood.

The course, which will take place on Wednesdays, June 11, 18 and 25, is entitled, "Ohio's Death Penalty: Recommendations of the American Bar Association and the Ohio Supreme Court's Death Penalty Task Force." Margery Koosed will teach the class.

The course is unique to the program because the Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Continuing Legal Education has approved it for 2 CLE hours per session. Attorneys that need continuing legal education could receive up to 6 CLE hours of instruction for an extra fee of $10 per session. The third session on June 25 for 2 hours of death penalty training.

All classes at Siegal facility, 26500 Shaker Blvd. in Beachwood.

(source: Cleveland Jewish News)

TENNESSEE:

Judge: State may seek death penalty in 4 slayings on Renegade Mountain

An accused killer has lost the 1st round in his bid to stay off death row if convicted.

A Cumberland County judge Wednesday denied a motion filed by attorneys for Jacob Allen Bennett, accused of killing 4 young people, that his blurted admission of guilt during the start of an arraignment should stand.

Defense attorneys in their motion had sought to nix the state's move to seek the death penalty, which was filed soon afterward.

Judge David Patterson ruled that Bennett's proclamation of his guilt on Sept. 20, 2013, occurred before he was given the opportunity to represent himself, that Bennett wasn't properly arraigned then and, that as judge, he didn't accept the plea.

"The court is concerned that the defendant didn't understand what was going on," Patterson said.

During a reconvened arraignment on Oct. 3, Bennett, 26, was given a court-appointed attorney, who entered not guilty pleas on the Crab Orchard man's behalf.

Bennett is accused of shooting 3 teenagers and a young mother to death on a secluded gravel road on Renegade Mountain, a would-be resort community that has fallen on hard times. The shootings occurred either late Sept. 11 or early Sept. 12, 2013, officials said.

The shooting occurred during a botched drug deal involving a quarter-pound of marijuana, according to records.

Killed were Danielle Rikki Jacobsen, 22, her nephew Domonic Davis, 17, John Lajeunesse, 16, and Steven Presley, 17.

"I think he (Bennett) ought to be put before a firing squad and done just like they done our kids," Peggy Davis, grandmother of Steven Presley, said during a break in the hearing.

Also accused in the case is Bennett's girlfriend, Brittany Lina Yvonn Moser, 25, of Dayton, Tenn. Bennett is charged with 4 counts of premeditated murder, 4 counts of felony murder, and 2 counts of attempted aggravated robbery.

Moser, with Bennett at the time of the killings, is charged with four counts of felony murder and 2 counts of attempted aggravated robbery.

Deputy District Attorney Gary McKenzie said the state will likely move to have separate trials for Bennett and Moser.

The judge set an Aug. 13 hearing on other motions in the case and to schedule a trial date for Bennett, now in maximum security in the Morgan County Regional Correctional Facility.

"If we can, we'll try to do that (a trial) this year," Patterson said.

(source: Knoxville News Sentinel)

USA:

The Shrinking Death Penalty

12 years after it banned the execution of intellecutally disabled people, the Supreme Court on Tuesday clarified and thus reaffirmed the essence of its ruling by striking down a Florida law requiring that defendant claiming that condition show an I.Q. score of 70 or below.

In 2002, the court held that people with intellectual disabilities were less culpable because of their "diminshed capacities" to process information, control their impulses and understand the nature of their crimes. The condition also made them more likely to give false confessions and less likely to be able to assist in their own defense.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for a 5-member majority, said that the state's "rigid rule" violated the Constitution because it "disregards established medical practice" by taking a test score as the final word on a defendant's intellectual capacity, and by refusing to consider the imprecision inherent in such tests.

"Intellectual disability is a condition, not a number," Justice Kennedy wrote. His opinion relied heavily on the consensus of mental-health professionals that a diagnosis of intellectual disability depends on both "significantly subaverage" intellectual functioning and major deficits in adaptive behaviors like self-care and interpersonal skills.

I.Q. is, they say, an approximate measure of intellectual function, and people can be disabled even if they score above 70. Florida, Justice Kennedy noted, did not cite a "single medical professional" who supported the strict cutoff."

Justice Samuel Alito Jr., writing for a 4-member dissent, rejected the majority's trust in what he called "the views of a small profefssional elite." The position of groups like the American Psychiatric Association "often change," Justice Alito warned, which "will lead to instability and continue to fuel protracted litigation."

That might be a stronger argument if people's lives were not at stake. But as Justice Kennedy put it, "The death penalty is the gravest sentence our socity may impose. Persons facing that most severe sanction must have a fair opportunity to show that the Constitution prohibits their execution."

At its core, the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment protects "the dignity of all persons," Justice Kennedy wrote, and its application "reflects the Nation we have been, the Nation we are, and the Nation we aspire to be." When it comes to the death penalty, that nation is changing. Since the 2002 decision, the court noted, 6 more states have abolished the death penalty, for a total of 18 plus the District of Columbia. Nowhere is the death penlaty being reinstated.

Tuesday's ruling may not affect more than a handful of cases, and capital punishment's defenders will always have an argument about why this I.Q. test or that secret lethal-injection protocol comports with the Constitution. But the tide of history is flowing against them.

(source: Editorial, New York Times)