Jan. 3

GEORGIA----impending execution

Laurens County cop killer set for execution

A Georgia man convicted of killing a sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop in 1998 is set to be executed later this month, state corrections officials said Friday.

Department of Corrections Commissioner Brian Owens has scheduled the execution of Andrew Howard Brannan, 66, for Jan. 13 at 7 p.m. at the state prison in Jackson, according to a department news release.

Brannan was sentenced to die for the January 1998 slaying of 22-year-old Laurens County sheriff's deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The shooting was captured by the video camera on Dinkheller's patrol car.

District attorney Craig Fraser, who tried the death-penalty phase of the case, said his thoughts and prayers were with all involved.

"It's been a 17-year-long journey for the family ... and I hope this brings closure for the family," Fraser said.

Authorities have said Dinkheller stopped Brannan for driving 98 mph and demanded he take his hands from his pockets. Brannan then began cursing, dancing in the street and saying "shoot me" before he rushed the deputy. After a scuffle, Brannan pulled a high-powered rifle from his car and shot Dinkheller 9 times.

Police found Brannan the next day hiding in a sleeping bag beneath a camouflage tarp about 100 yards from a house where they had tracked him after the shooting. He had been shot in the stomach, apparently by Dinkheller.

A jury convicted him in 2000, and the Georgia Supreme Court upheld the conviction 2 years later.

His trial attorney had argued an insanity defense and called expert witnesses who testified Brannan suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, which had triggered a flashback to Vietnam.

But a court-appointed psychiatrist concluded he was sane, and a Glynn County jury convicted him of murder. The trial was moved from Laurens County because of pretrial publicity.

Brannan challenged the legality of his conviction and sentence in 2003, and a state court judge threw out both on grounds that his trial lawyer failed to present complete mental health defenses.

Arguing before the Georgia Supreme Court in 2008, a lawyer for Brannan said the trial attorneys failed to uncover traumas Brannan had experienced in Vietnam and to present evidence that he also suffered from bipolar disorder.

A lawyer for the state argued the investigation was thorough and the trial lawyers chose not to emphasize Brannan's bipolar disorder, in part because his post-traumatic stress disorder was better documented.

The high court found that his trial counsel did an adequate job of presenting that defense.

(source: Associated Press)

******************************

Execution set for man who murdered deputy in 1998

The Georgia Department of Corrections on Friday set a Jan. 13 execution date for Andrew Howard Brannan, who murdered a 22-year-old Laurens County deputy during a 1998 traffic stop.

If Brannan is put to death by lethal injection, he will be 2nd man Georgia has executed in little more than a month; Robert Holsey was executed on Dec. 9 for murdering a Baldwin County deputy.

In January 1998, Laurens County deputy Kyle Dinkheller stopped Brannan on Interstate 16 for speeding, driving at 98 mph.

All that happened after Brannan was pulled over was captured by a video camera on the deputy's car.

According to the video shown the jury, Brannan got out of his truck and ignored Dinkheller's demands that he take his hands out of his pockets.

Brannan swore at the deputy and began dancing on the road and yelling, "shoot me." At one point he yelled he was a "Vietnam combat veteran."

Then Brannan rushed the the deputy and they struggled for a few moments until Brannan ran back to his truck and got a .30 M-1 carbine. He shot Dinkheller 9 times, including once at close range.

In the trial, Brannan's attorney said he was insane and asked the jury to find him not guilty. The defense lawyer said Brannan had post traumatic stress disorder and would have flashbacks to his experience Vietnam.

But according to the court-appointed psychiatrist, Brannan was sane.

(source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

ALABAMA:

Should Alabama Bring Back the Electric Chair Named Yellow Mama?

Should we sympathize with an Alabama legislator who is wringing his hands over the problem of executing those on Alabama's Death Row? State Representative Lynn Greer is behind a drive to revitalize the famous electric chair named Yellow Mama because of its color. Mr. Greer's dilemma is that the state, like some others, is having a problem obtaining lethal injection drugs that work.

Apparently the last few times some states tried to use the lethal cocktails, the results were the writhing, foaming, tortured body of a man who has not been lethally injected but rather has been injected with a mix of drugs that are supposed to be quickly lethal. People witnessing these executions were presented with a prolonged agonizing death process that can only be described as torture.Yes, it's true the person being executed may have had no mercy on the person or persons they killed, and may have even tortured them, but you have to ask yourself is this the way you want to legally end someones life? It's safe to say most civilized people will want the punishment to be swift. This is not only for the person being executed, but for those who choose to witness the execution. This sometimes includes family and friends of the victim(s).

There are currently 97 black males, 90 white males, 3 other ethnicity males, 1 back female and 2 white females on Alabama's death row. Arthur Lee Giles has been in Holman prison since August 18, 1979, longer than any other Alabama prisoner on death row. Almost 1/2 the prisoners on death row in Alabama have been there since the 1990's. Giles robbed a house at which he was working picking vegetables, killing Willene and Carl Nelson and critically injuring 3 children using knifes and guns. He had an accomplice Aaron Lee Jones, whose status is unknown. All the prisoners on death row are there for murder, and many of them were committed during the act of a robbery. I cannot say that each and every person on death row in Alabama actually did the crime they were accused and found guilty, but they went through the legal process that found them so.

I don't have a degree in pharmacology but it's difficult to believe no one in the entire country - in the world for that matter - can provide a syringe filled with a drug that will instantly put the inmate to sleep and then within a few minutes peacefully kill them. The story is there is a shortage of the drugs. I'm skeptical. The electric chair seems on the cruel side because it does not kill the person right away. It sends high voltage electricity through them, causing the person to convulse, shake and then at some point die.

Should we really care how we kill these people who in many cases savagely killed others? I think we have to step back and realize that in a way we are playing God. Regardless of what that person did we are still selecting them and saying we are going to kill you for what you did. Just my thoughts here but people who think, yes, let's kill them in a way that makes them suffer for what they did, are not people I would want to call my friends. That sort of revenge mentality is definitely something I cannot reconcile. There are some who are against the death penalty altogether. I am probably one of the few liberals who believe people who stab, chop up, beat to death, shoot innocent adults and children will not be rehabilitated to a level they could be released back in society.

I am infuriated that Charles Manson, who although supposedly did not do any of the killing himself, directed several others to commit one of the most brutal, unbelievable murder sprees in American history and he is still alive 40 years after it happened. He is about to get married in prison. It is a very sad reflection of the American society, of us as people, that Charles Manson is a celebrity who is treated better than many people outside that California prison. The state of California and its residents are the most to blame in this murder case that was never handled correctly. May I remind you his followers cut open a pregnant woman and wrote the word pig on a wall using her blood. But you in California have banned the death penalty because...? Charles Manson carried out the death penalty and did not even need your state's permission.

I would recommend death by shooting squad over the electric chair. The person should die within a few seconds of being shot with multiple rounds by several people. Still, lethal injection is the preferred method, if experts can find a way to create and have available the drug to be used. People die of heroin overdoses all the time.

The state of Tennessee this year brought back the electric chair, the only state in America to use it regardless of the inmates preferred method of dying. 8 other states will use the electric chair if the inmate agrees, but to date there are no reports that any inmate in America has selected this method of dying. Can you imagine any of them would?

I have an idea. Why not build a federal facility in which every state in the country would send their death row inmates. At this facility the inmates would work full-time 5 days a week doing a variety of jobs such as printing federal documents, repairing federal office machinery, repairing federal vehicles such as mail trucks, refurbishing furniture and equipment - there are a lot of tasks these people could perform while they are waiting for their state to decide how and when they can perform the execution. Because they are working they will not be a financial burden. It relieves each state from the costs they are incurring for inmates who have been on death row for over 25 years. It provides a centralize location to keep and monitor the prisoners. That's what I would do but then again who am I but just one person in a sea of millions, with his own individual opinion like most everyone else.

(source: Preston Brady III is a writer and publisher based in Mobile, Alabama; The Mobile Tribune)