Gunnar Wolf <gw...@debian.org> writes:

> Simon Josefsson dijo [Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 10:12:23AM +0200]:
>> > Yes, that is what the media has dubbed "the SCHISM",
>> > e.g. https://lwn.net/Articles/953797/
>> >
>> > I played around with GnuPG 2.4.4, and it is easy to accidentally create
>> > an out-of-spec cert with it:
>>
>> To be fair, the spec is available, isn't it?  It just isn't OpenPGP.
>
> Right. But there is an ecosystem of tools other than GnuPG that
> implement OpenPGP. Forking and going your own way is not a tactic that
> follows the ethos of the free software communities; being the dominant
> implementation should not give the leverage to force your view upon
> others.

On the contrary, I believe forking when you disagree with something is
at the very heart of the free software spirit.

I do agree with you that it feels uncomfortable when you are subject to
decisions you don't like, and is faced with a decision to fork a project
or switch to an alternative.

Especially when decisions are made in an important project that you
cannot easily influence.

We have many examples of this pattern -- a close example to OpenPGP vs
LibrePGP is that OpenSSH de-facto dictate what other SSH implementations
have to support, and that protocol behaviour isn't consistent with any
RFCs -- the difference is that most users trust OpenSSH more than the
broken RFC system.  We've had the GCC vs EGCS split.  We've had
<flamebait> Debian force systemd on its users, or debian-installer
including non-free software.  We've had SSLeay vs OpenSSL.  We've seen
SunJDK vs OpenJDK.  Remember Emacs vs XEmacs?  We recently had Redis vs
Valkey.

All these examples have their own unique properties, but one common
pattern is that some dominant project make a decision that some set of
users dislike, leading to forks of the project or people switch to
alternatives.  Saying that this pattern is against the ethos of free
software when you dislike a decision is not convincing to me.  I believe
the essence of free software is merely that it gives you the ability to
do something constructive about the decision (fork) when it occurs.

Leveraging your own dominance to force another view upon others is a
common reaction when someone else uses their dominance to force their
view.  For example, Debian could replace use of GnuPG's gpgv with some
other implementation.  That is the same kind of dominance decision as
GnuPG replacing OpenPGP with LibrePGP, but the difference is that this
feels more pleasant when the decision is consistent with your own views.
That makes it the right decision for some set of users, but it will
alienate and drive away others.  There is another way of working and
that is to be inclusive towards as many viewpoints as possible, although
that approach has its costs and downsides too.

/Simon