On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:34:26AM +0200, Philipp Hug wrote:
> Yes, this is correct. You can only book 3 months ahead.
> The prices seem to be the similar on sbb.ch
> (Stuttgart-Yverdons-les-Bains, no BahnCard or HalbTax, 39EUR/48CHF)
> But you should also compare with bahn.de.
>
> I think some links and/or guidelines are helpful as it's not always
> easy to find the best fares.

Hints from my experience / questions at counter for traveling with DB:

  - bahn.de is a nice resource of information but does not give hints
    to all tricks
  - one interesting trick not mentioned there is the so called
    "Probe-Bahncard"[1] that is valid for 4 monthes which works
    like a Bahncard 25% with interesting amounts of discount for
    certain special offers.  This "Probe-Bahncard" costs only
    25,- Euro - for long distance travel this is usually less than the
    discount you might get (bahn.de will not give an explicite hint
    about this - the counter personal explicitely did)
  - You can book 3 months ahead and you should try to do this to get
    the best account
  - Looking for connections some hours earlier / later might lead to
    interesting savings
  - Bringing your own bicycle from Germany to Swiss costs only extra
    10,- Euro (per direction) - my plan is to bike from
    Yverdons-les-Bains to Le Camp which is fun on one hand and saves
    the cost for the Bus (so one direction carrying the bike is close
    to free of cost)  However, you can not bring your bike in ICE,
    which might make a slightly slower connection

Hope this helps and might be even applicable for people from outside
Germany who might just pass.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/ueberblick/probebahncard.shtml