On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 12:08:01AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:35:03PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > > (2) being unable to build firefox with gcc/g++ 4.X (compiler segfault
> > >     during build).  firefox-1.5.X and -2.0.X build fine with gxx-3.4,
> > >     although it takes nearly eight hours for a build to finish due to
> > >     incredibly long "ld" times for some of the libraries.  The good
> > >     news is, it works: linux-on-alpha users *can* have modern web
> > >     browsers :-).

> > Uh?  Debian etch *ships* with modern web browsers on alpha; is there some
> > reason that you found the Debian iceweasel package insufficient?

> You mean, other than not knowing about it :-) ?  I wanted something more
> recent than Mozilla when I was running Sarge, so I got used to rolling my
> own firefox early on.  I had 2.0.0.3 running before the upgrade to Etch,
> and it never occurred to me to go looking for an official Debian package
> under a different name.

$ apt-cache policy firefox
firefox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.0.0.3-1
  Version table:
     2.0.0.3-1 0
        900 http://debian.osuosl.org etch/main Packages
        100 http://debian.osuosl.org sid/main Packages
$

The package is available under this name as well on a transitional basis.

> Even if I no longer have to build my own for the Alpha, I still have to do
> that for some older x86 machines I'm using: the official firefox releases
> are for i686, and it doesn't take long for the app to die on an illegal
> instruction trap on those machines :-(.

Um?  Is this with the *Debian packages*?  Has a bug been filed about this?
Debian targets i486, not i686.  If the Debian firefox packages are built for
i686 only, that's a bug.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   http://www.debian.org/