Hi Adam,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 03:22:06PM -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:

> At work I've been given the task of installing Debian on an old Alpha
> XL 300 that is currenty running Red Hat 6.2. I have never installed
> Linux on a non x86 plaform before so am having quite a lot of
> difficulty.

> >From what I can gather from the documentation I need to create a
> bootable floppy and then boot of this to start the install. The
> documentation (http://debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch04s02.html.en)
> says that the image for this floppy is dependant on the specific
> Alpha, which I believe for the XL 300 is xlt, and can be found in the
> following location:

> <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/disks-alpha/current/MILO/>

> There doesn't seem to be any MILO directory, not even a disks-alpha
> directory. Where can I find these disk images?

> Am I on the right track with this? Does anyone know of some simple
> step by step instructions for installing on Alpha?

Sorry, this pointer to MILO isn't supposed to be there; MILO hasn't been
supported for at least three releases now, because it's based on an ancient
Linux kernel that can no longer be built from source.  And it looks like I
have a fix for that part of the manual that never got committed; I'll take
care of that ASAP. :/

According to the table at
<http://debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch05s01.html.en>, the xl and xlt
systems don't support SRM, which means you can *only* boot Linux on them
using MILO.  The only remaining site I know of for downloading MILO is
<http://milo.core-systems.de/>; but once you get the MILO images, you're
still pretty much on your own for getting Debian installed using it, since
there's no support for this in the installer.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org