On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:22:28PM +0100, Hartwig Atrops wrote:

> I installed Lenny on my PWS500au a while agao - without CD drive trouble.
>
> On Thursday 25 February 2010 20:46, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > (...)
> >
> > Found a Toshiba IDE CD-RW drive for $9 that I'll try this evening.  If
> > the problem persists with the new drive, I'll at least know it's some
> > kind of weird Linux+controller issue.  If that's the case, anyone got an
> > idea how I might work around it?  (I'll provide the controller error
> > messages from "syslog" if the problem persists with the new drive.)
>
> I used only the first CD, I did the rest via ftp.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Hartwig

Well, as it turns out, the Toshiba SW-252S I found is either defective,
or SRM cares entirely too much about what kind of CD-ROM device is
attached to the IDE controller :-(.  When I powered-up the machine with
the new drive, the expected hex digits (diagnostics?) never showed up at
the top of the screen: no SRM prompt, nothing.

So, I tore apart the old CD-ROM drive, repaired the broken tray
mechanism gear (it was the one attached to the motor shaft), and am
trying another Lenny installation as I type this.  When I reach the
point where "apt" offers to scan the other two CDs in the installation
set, I'll decline this time and see what happens...