[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I only have a 10Gb HD (for the moment, I'm saving to get another), so I
> don't find it really attractive to install the full 64bits system, and
> then install lots of 32bits libraries (and maybe other binaries) in a
> chroot jail just to run, say, doom3, or openoffice.org.  So, my question
> is:

The chroot basically consumes whatever it takes to run the binary.
There is some unused overhead.  In only a 10GB filesystem you will
need to be more careful than most.  But a basic system consumed around
100MB and grows from there.  I would guess 500MB for a mostly usable
system.

> Is there any way in wich I can have both kind of libraries in my system?,
> I mean, something like this:
>
> lib  : 32bits libraries.
> lib64: 64bits libraries.

That is the old biarch model of supporting two architectures.  But it
is truly horrid.  It has many problems.

I suggest you look at the multiarch proposal.  It is a much better
method of handling multiple architectures.

  http://www.linuxbase.org/~taggart/multiarch.html

In any case, right now the typical "better" model is to use a chroot
install of the non-native binaries and either put them in
/emul/ia32-linux or make that a symlink to the actual location.  The
Debian amd64 howto documents that process quite well.  Hopefully
eventually the proposed multiarch will replace all of this.

> and have almost all of my system running 64bits binaries (except by:
> openoffice, doom3, mplayer with w32 codecs, you name it).

I run my 64-bit system just that way.

Bob