Hi Free,

>   DJ> but I'm guessing that there will be a
>   DJ> way to get 2.6.10-multimedia in there somehow!
>
> I  don't think so.   Usually kernel  source-packages are
> architecture specific,  and  you  have to   prepare  different
> source-packages  for different architectures.

OK, looks like something we'll have to work on.

>   DJ> In the meantime, I'm going to try installing pure64 on this
> Opteron machine as a start. It sounds like gcc-3.4 isn't a good
> foundation to build on just yet.
>
> Let us know!

I just used the sid-amd64-netinst.iso image to install a basic pure64
system. Apart from not putting the partitions where I thought I asked
them to be, the only problem was that the installer kernel didn't
recognise either of the ethernet cards - I have an on-board sk98lin
gigabit chipset plus an old-school PCI RTL8139 card for safety.

They both seem to be recognised by the installed K8 kernel on reboot,
so now it looks like it's manual configuration time. Should etherconf
do the trick?

Thanks,

Daniel