Hi Pete,

> Perhaps you're running into this (from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4):
>
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
> # updated again, run the following commands as root:

DeMuDi doesn't appear to have that section in the file, on my laptop
at least. I think the problem is that the autoconfiguration tries but
fails, and then doesn't give you the option to fix X manually.
Hopefully switching to X.org will help with this.

> dpkg-reconfigure isn't willing to overwrite an XF86Config-4 that it
> doesn't think it previously wrote.

That could well be relevant if X is being setup by another script.

Thanks!

Daniel