En/La Thomas Steffen ha escrit, a 21/04/05 13:13:
| On 4/21/05, Jonathan Kaye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|
|>Thanks for that. Yes, the more I read, the more it seems you can install
|>amd64 onto an i386 system.
|

| Yes, it assume that you already have an i386 system, and want to
| install amd64. Although I am not 100% sure whether I would recommend
| that approach. A clean new install on a separate partition certainly
| has its advantages.

Yes, indeed. I've got sarge 3.6.8 running nicely.

|>The next question is what becomes of the
|>existing system?
|

| That is up to you. You can keep the 64bit system a chroot, if you only
| use it occasionally, and mainly stay with 32bits.

Ideally I'd like the 32 bit system to wither away. From what you say
below, the only indispensable thing is Openoffice and I could run that
from a chroot in a 64 bit system.
| If you put the chroot on a separate partition, you can also boot it
| directly, and then set up the old 32bit system as a chroot.
|
| Until all application actually work on 64bit, I would not delete the
| 32bit system. I might still come handy at some point.

I agree with that. I have a 200Gb HD but with no partitions (aside from
swap) so I have to look into virtual partitions that David was talking
about.

|>Specifically, I don't see why the /home directory
|>should be effected.
|

| Yes, you definately want to share /home, just like /tmp, /proc and
| maybe /mnt. If your home is a separate partition, then it straight
| forward: just mount it in both places. If not, you have to use the
| bind mount given in the HOWTO.
Ok, I understand that, then ditto for /opt?

|>It would be nice if someone with experience installing amd64 over a i386
|>installation could chime in here. I've got a bunch of binaries in /opt
|>but I'm aware of the issues (they either run in amd64 or a through them
|>in chroot). Advice most welcome.
|

| I copied my /opt, and most of it still works. But you also have to
| keep at least the libraries from the 32bit system (/lib, /usr/lib,
| /usrX11R6/lib and maybe some more places), and tell ld.so about their
| new path. If you do that, it is recommended that you keep all of the
| 32bit system, so that you can still use its administration tools (like
| dpkg).
I'm not clear about what the file system would look like if I keep the
32 bit system. I guess when I understand chroot better this will become
clear.

| Also several applications still require 32bit libraries. Among these
| are openoffice.org, the Flash plugin (which needs 32bit mozilla),
| VMware, tcc and of course wine.
As I said above OO is essential. I can live w/o flash until a 64bit
version is available. VMware, tcc I don't use and I have tried wine and
found it more trouble than it's worth.

| Thomas

Thanks Thomas,
your posting is really helpful and greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jonathan

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]