On (06/05/05 09:45), Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On (06/05/05 14:44), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Hi everybody.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried to install our dear distribution in an acer laptop
> > > (aspire
> > > 1520 series, i don't know if the model changes in other countries). I'm
> > > thinking
> > > about purchase one laptop and i like that model, but i need to know if i
> > > can install debian on it.
> >
> > I'm running amd64 sid on an Aspire 1524WMLi here (it will also run 32bit
> > Debian) and it rocks.  FWIW we've also just installed Debian on my
> > partner's 2003WLMi and it's working fine.
>
> Does any of the hardware devices not work, or are there any you haven't
> tried to make work yet?
>
> Does wireless networking require ndiswrappers? (if it has wireless).

Hi Len

I've not spent any time on power management or wireless, although
someone else mentioned a while ago that they'd successfully used
ndiswrappers for wireless on a similar machine (it should be in the
archive somewhere in the last three months).

I did give myself a scare using 'grip' a while ago, I started ripping
some tracks from a Stones cd and the machine got very hot and the disk
vibrated badly.  I think there must be some hardware safety switch
because it closed itself down abrubtly.  After it cooled down, it was
fine again.  I removed grip and decided I'd use my G4 to rip CDs in
future.  It burns CD's fine though.

I'm using the 'nv' driver which works but I intend to experiment with
the nVidia driver at some point.  I had a brief try a while ago but got
sidetracked onto something else and as the graphics seem fine, it's not
of any great urgency.

I've said before, it's not a road warrior's laptop (2hr battery life)
but as a portable 'power' workstation, I think it's hard to beat.... and
the widescreen is really useful for working on multiple applications
simultaneously.

Regards

Clive

--