On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 08:48:53PM -0300, Javier Kohen wrote:
> >     The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >       libpam0g-dev: Depends: libpam0g (= 0.76-22) but 0.76-22.0.0.1.amd64
> > is to be installed
> >     E: Broken packages
> >
> > which would appear to be the problem I suppose.
>
> Yes, it looks like libpam is the culprit. Try forcing version 0.76-22 of
> libpam0g with apt-get. The amd64 version was probably removed from the
> archive during the move to debian.net and I don't think it's coming
> back.

Thank you, that helped a lot.  I downloaded and installed the .debs
manually, and the new sticking point became that this:

        libtasn1-2-dev_0.2.10-3

couldn't be installed because it depended on libtasn1-2_0.2.10-3, when
it wanted to install libtasn1-2_0.2.10-4.  I installed both of the
-3's manually, and then it was willing to proceed.

It installed all of gnome and a zillion libraries (on a headless db
server ;), and I was then able to build the ssh package.

Thanks for all your help!

--Pete