On closer inspection I have a clue to add to the mystery.

On a normal successful install I see the error

   dpkg: warning, architecture 'amd64' not in remapping table.

as I mentioned before. But it only happens once and the install keeps on going quite happily.

I know it occurs as the kernel package (or maybe one just after it) is installed.

What I am seeing when my install fails is the installer trying to install the kernel (or this other mystery package) over and over again. The error message I see is misleading and I don't think it has anything to do with the actual problem I am facing.

So, I still wonder what is going on and if anyone else has installed to RAID5 from sarge?

I have seen this on three seperate machines now with various sarge install CDs over the last few months. I assume from this that you cannot install to a RAID5 root partition using sarge AMD64. I have done it from i386 sarge install CD many times with no trouble.

Guess I'll keep juggling partitions for now.

Ashley