On Tuesday 21 June 2005 09:34 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 02:17:24PM +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> > Goswin wrote me the same. Good to know. I might have made that mistake
> > as I was under the impression that RAID on the ASUS A8V Deluxe was
> > "good".
>
> In general (there are a few exceptions for high end server boards):
>
> -Onboard raid is not hardware raid and is not good.
>
> -A raid card that costs less than $200 probably isn't hardware raid and
>  is the same as the onboard raid just on a pci card.  I suspect there may
>  be a few hardware raid cards just below $200, but probably not many.
>  There are many software raid cards at around $100.
>
> It's that simple really.
>
> Len Sorensen

        Something which hasn't come up in this or several other threads is the
"zero
channel" RAID card. Here, I'm using several Tyan Thunder K8S mb's which come
with a built-in SCSI HBA (no RAID) and with the addition of an Adaptec 2015S
zero channel RAID card, I have hardware RAID. Plus the ZC RAID cards cost
less than half what a comparable PCI card costs, and don't tie up a slot.

Just my half-cents worth!

cmr

--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----