On Tuesday 21 June 2005 22:40, Attila Kocsis wrote:
> I'm planning to buy this motherboard: MSI K8T
> Neo2-FIR

Hi,

Bought the same board because it was an upgrade from the board used in
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk "Ultimate Linux PC 2004".

Problems I've found so far:

- Both the on board SATA controllers are *not* compatable with SATA CD or DVD
drives (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.html)
- No booting off USB
- *BIG!* problem: factory installed BIOS [v3.*] will not accept Dual channel
or indeed any memory above 256MB [flashed BIOS to v9.* yesterday and the
memory problems are now gone]
- Faulty RAID fixed with above BIOS upgrade
- Faulty SATA BIOS [still haven't fixed this, but PC boots Knoppix and
installed Suse 9.2 fine, maybe faulty error message?]
- "Clear CMOS Jumper" is actually the exact opposite to the setting shown in
the manual.

Haven't found a local supplier of Debian AMD64, so haven't installed Debian
yet on this PC.

I'm still looking forward to playing with this PC, but the decision is upto
you how much trouble you are willing to take.

All the best.

--
Robert "roach" Spencer
Pietermaritzburg