On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 20:13 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
Zachary Rizer wrote:
> --- Thomas Steffen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes, you can. The chroot may have a different file
> > system, but it sees exactly the same network.

Agreed.  This works fine.

> The server doesn't seem to want to run in the chroot,
> or if it's running, I can't get to it from outside...
> see below.

The only below I see is:
> > > I'd like to run the FreeNX server, but it won't work
> > > in amd64 "mode" because of a missing
> > > libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3, which is present in the
> > > sid-ia32 chroot.

Since as you say it is present in the sid-ia32 chroot that says to me
that it is working for you.  Right?  If it is not working then what
are the details?

When you say ``amd64 "mode"'' do you mean native amd64 64-bit code?
In which case it would not be using a 32-bit library but would instead
be using a 64-bit library.  Or do you mean running the 32-bit program
outside the chroot?

Bob

The package contains statically-compiled 32bit binaries.  It runs (the server process, I mean) in native amd64 code, except that when a client tries to connect, after it authenticates via SSH, it bails because it cannot find the aforementioned libstdc file, since it expects this common 32bit library.  I tried moving the directory into my 32bit chroot, and running it from there, but that seems to cause an entire 'nother set of issues.  (e.g., the server process won't even start). I'll look into it more today, I'd love to get it working and write up a howto for other debian-amd64 folks.

~Zaq

--
I got this powdered water -- now I don't know what to add. -- Steven Wright