This is a known bug, with information here:

A quick fix is to run kontact and click on the "mail" section. This is just
kmail running as a kpart instead of a separate application, so all your
settings and mail will be there. Interestingly, it does not crash when run
this way. (This works fine for me on my amd64 install).

Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]