On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:26:58AM +0200, CECCHI FABIO wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I bought a HP zv6069EA laptop with AMD Athon 64  3500+ (2.2 Mhz with
> Cool'n'Quite technology), RAM 512 MB, ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 IGP (128
> MB), Hard disk 100 GB ATA 100.
>
> I tried to install Debian amd 64 3.1 r0 distribution but the
> installation programs, after running vmlinuz and initrd and displaying
> some other messages that I didn't get because of considerably speed,
> hangs with a black screen. Probably the last message was something like
> FATAL:....
>
> I tried to insert the options vga=791 noapic nolapic. As result I got
> the screen for the keyboard selection, but at this point I can type any
> character and thus I am not able to go on.
>
> Have somebody some suggestion for this problem ?

I used to get a blank screen on many IBM thinkpads with woody and
potato.  Using the boot option: video=vga16:off always solved it for me,
since that disabled the vga16 fb driver that apparently kills the
display on some notebooks.

I had to use that to install sarge on a brand new Dell with some idiotic
ati chip in it lately.  Never had to with any system with an nvidia
moile chip.  Those just work.

Len Sorensen