On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:23:08AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 12:01 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:36:55AM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> [snip]
> > single dual core.  Of course they also require a dual socket board
> > rather than a single socket board, and you could put two dual core
>
> Unless I am misunderstanding you, I think that is wrong.  Since they
> use Socket 940, they are a drop-in replacement for "regular" chips.
> All that might be necessary is a BIOS upgrade (and kernel 2.6.12).

You require a dual socket motherboard to run 2 single core opterons, and
you do not require one to run a single dualcore opteron.  That is I
believe what I said, although maybe I messed it up somehow.

With the dualcore chip you can use a cheaper board to get 2 cores
running, but you only get half the memory bandwidth of a two chip single
core system.

> http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=672&pid=2568
>     One of the most-talked-about features of AMD?s dual core product
>     line has been its drop-in compatibility with existing Socket
>     939 / 940 motherboards.  Now that products are actually launch-
>     ing, AMD has reiterated that motherboards based on Socket 939
>     and 940 should be able to handle a dual core replacement once
>     the BIOS is flashed to recognize the new processor.

Exactly.

Len Sorensen