Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> In my experience alsaconf is useless and does nothing to help anyone.
> cat /proc/asound/cards to see if any currently loaded driver has found
> your chip.  If yes, then you just have permissions and volume settings
> to work out.  If no, the right driver is not loaded yet.  Loading the
> driver is usualyl as simple as adding the driver name to /etc/modules
> such as snd-emu10k1, snd-via82cxx or snd-intel8x0 or whichever your chip
> uses.
>
> Len Sorensen
Sorry Len, no help at all. My card is in the /proc/asound/modules file (the
only one there). It is:
0 snd_via82xx
and that's the entire contents of that file.
I can't do any adjusting because no mixer (alsamixer, amixer, kmixer)
recognises that there is a card:
Attila:/proc/asound# amixer
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
Attila:/proc/asound# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory
I did put snd_via82xx is the /etc/modules file but that didn't change
anything either (I notice it's not in my /etc/modules file in work
functioning i386 setup).
Back to ripping the whole thing out I guess.
Thanks again,
Jonathan