The etch netinst iso seems to be missing the isolinux.cfg file necessary to get
it going. Installation halts with a message about missing a boot image from
isolinux. When I compared the iso with the sarge iso, I could see that etch
lacked the .cfg file. Supplying the arguments by booting from /install/vmlinuz
with the parameters I saw in the sarge iso's isolinux.fgm file didn't get me
much further--couldn't find the root filesystem.

So, instead, I tried the sarge netinst iso. With this one, it booted ok, but
during installation wouldn't recognize that it was on a dhcp net. So I
configured the net parameters by hand, but it still couldn't download any
software. (I suspect not recognizing that it was on a dhcp net was actually not
being able to see the net at all.) I know it's not a net hardware problem,
since I can boot from a gnoppix cd and browse the net without any difficulty.

Any suggestions as to how to get things going? I'd really like to try the 64
bit kernel on this box.

Cheers,

David Udin