Related to recent threads (installation of flash on firefox, etc). I've got a debootstrap ia32 system installed in /emul. The intent is to install firefox (i386) from tarballs at mozilla.org and use it without chrooting.

I got past an initial missing libgtk-x11 library by installing it in the /emul area (by chrooting into the /emul/ia32-linux area and running apt) and running ldconfig.

The next issue may be tricker - firefox/gtk seems to be looking in an exact location for pango libraries, finding the x86-64 versions, and failing:

(firefox-bin:18830): Pango-WARNING **: /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'

(firefox-bin:18830): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox-bin:18830): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

NOTE: /usr/lib/pango/1.4.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so exists on the amd64 host system.

I'm considering some hacking like: symlinking /emul/ia32-linux to the root directory of the ia32 distribution, modifying ld.so.conf (ia32) to point only to these symlinked library areas, and running ldconfig (ia32 chroot). I have a funny feeling this is not going to work. Anyone with experience with these types of problems: any advice is appreciated. If I have any success I'll let folks know.

Nathan