I have a shuttle-xpc with an Athlon Venice 3800+ cpu, a SATA hard drive, and
an IDE CD-ROM (cdrw/dvd combo), and installed debian-etch on it about three
weeks ago.  The kernel is 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.

I can't get the CD-rom to mount disks for the life of me.  It is detected
during boot-up as an ide device (all from dmesg):

Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX320EE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

But, then it seems to use scsi emulation, even though it tells me not to.

ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as
device
scsi2 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-RW  CRX320EE   Rev: RYK3
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

and I get an odd error message:

sr0: Hmm, seems the drive doesn't support multisession CD's

When I attempt to mount a disk, I get this error

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

and I get this appended to dmesg:

cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
cdrom: sr0: mrw address space DMA selected
attempt to access beyond end of device
sr0: rw=0, want=68, limit=4
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16

lsmod lists, among other things:

ide_generic             1792  0 [permanent]
ide_disk               18176  0
ide_cd                 43680  0
ide_scsi               18308  0
ide_core              145080  5 ide_generic,ide_disk,ide_cd,amd74xx,ide_scsi
sr_mod                 18596  0
cdrom                  39736  2 ide_cd,sr_mod
sata_nv                10628  11
libata                 50184  1 sata_nv

I originally thought it was just trying to mount on the wrong device, so
tried to mount it on /dev/hdc  --- only to find that there was no such
device.  I tried to create it, and that kinda failed, kinda worked, in that
they appear in /dev/.static/dev/, and there are no /dev/hd* files at all.
Putting them in manually, which I tried, amounted to nothing since they
dissapear in the next boot.  Things about udev I don't understand, I guess.

I tried, twice,

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/.static/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0

and that hung badly.  Could not even kill it.

So, what do I do?  I don't know whether or not I can play audio cds/dvds, but
that is not vital.  I need to be able to mount cd-roms, and burn them.

I got some suggestions over the net to use an ata-ide module, but the cd-rom
drive is really plugged into an ide port, so I assume this is not right.

I am using 2.6.12 since I needed that to get the kernel to find my sata drive
as /dev/sda (on my other machine, a 32-bit one using a 2.4 kernel, the drive
is recognized as ide, and probably runs slowly, but it works).  Will a newer
kernel help?  Is there a module I need to load?  I really want this, I think,
to be recognized as an ide device.  How do I do that without /dev/hdc?  How
would I go about getting that device created?

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
 _`\(,_  | what canst  thou say?  -- George Fox.