OK, I have made some progress of sorts ...

I found a comment while googling about that said:

install in expert mode
when asked what modules to install ONLY select generic, ide-generic, ide-cd, and isofs
this did the trick and allows the installer to find the CDROM
it will later ask you again about the other modules

It seems the one or more of the sata related modules blocks access to or hides the CDROM. The rest of the install went smoothly with the exception that it still complained about not finding some modules.

I also now have a problem that my CDROM is no longer accessible after I rebooted.

Has anyone else run into this?
How/Where should I report this?
Anyone know of a fix for this problem?

-Steve

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
Ooops sorry, that should be tried installers:

sarge i386
sarge amd64
etch amd64
etch amd64 (daily)

-Steve

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

I still have not gotten this to work! <sigh>
I couple of more pieces ...

The HD is a Serial ATA device and the CD_ROM is a PATA. I think the PATA is actually serviced via a SATA-PATA bridge on the motherboard. The FreeBSD 6.0 installer recognizes both the the HD and the CDROM.

I have tried the installers for:

sarge i386
sarge amd64
sarge amd64 (daily)

and get the same behavior on all of them. The system also has a 3ware 9550 controller with 8 250GB SATA drives in RAID5, but I can't even get past the CDROM detection step in the installer :(

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

-Steve

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to install on a Supermicro X6DHT-G motherboard system with 2 EM64T processors, using a CD built from debian-31r0a-amd64-netinst.iso

The system boots to the CD and starts the installer, but it can not find a driver for the CD-ROM. The CD-ROM is on IDE Channel 1 Slave and IDE Channel 0 Master is a 250GB SATA1 drive.

The Installer complains about unavailable modules:

e1000
ide-mod
ide-probe-mod
ide-detect
ide-floppy

Any ideas how to work around this problem?

Thanks,
  -Steve