On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:34:11 -0300
volrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i have a hard disk sata and ide on my pc , my problem is that debian for amd
> 64 not detect my hard disk ide only detect the sata hard disk , i have a
> copy of sarge and this detect my hard disk ide =S .
> please somebody helpme

This may be the same problem I had.  My ide device is just a CD-ROM
drive, but the situation is probably the same for you.  Check to see whether
you have any /dev/hd* device files. I did not. The explanation is that when
the kernel boots up, it takes over the disk controllers, and this can leave
the ide controller in an unstable state.  udev (which generated device
drivers) then doesn't recognize the existence of the ide controller.

What worked for me was to add (thanks to Lennart Sorensen) ide_cd to
etc/mkinitrd/modules and re-run mkinitrd:

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.whatever-yours-is

For you, I'd guess it'd be better to add ide_disk instead.  This forces
the loading of that module before the sata module, so that the ide devices
should be detected.

Sorry for using English, but you can understand that a lot better than my
Spanish, believe me.

 --

David L. Johnson

   __o   | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
 _`\(,_  | conclusion.  -- George Bernard Shaw