On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:43:53PM -0500, Igor TAmara wrote:
> I removed from the bios, and also passed dma=off , at least it lets me
> boot on 2.6.15, was not able to do that before.
>
> But it still shows errors, is it possible that the bad use of the dma
> would damage the disk?  I just but the hd about 4 months or so.

DMA will not damage the drive.

In my experience a drive tends to fail either when it is very new, or
when it is very old.  I have had a drive fail in 4 hours after being
installed.  I have had it happen after 2 weeks, and I have had it happen
after 6 or 7 years sometimes.  I had a 13 year old scsi drive die on me
recently, which I certainly won't complain about. :)

> Hell File System, (c) 2002-2004 Miroslav Spousta
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hdb: DMA disabled
> ide0: reset: success
>
> Is it safe to try to use hdparm ? to disable dma on the conf?

You could probably even do an ide=nodma kernel option (unless the
modular ide system ignores that).  It certainly looks a lot like the
errors I had on a machine last friday just before the drive totally died
on me. :(  Get the important data off there ASAP.

It is very unlikely turning off dma will solve anything or even help.
It will make acessing the drive much slower though.

Len Sorensen