> Maybe, the scsi-driver is not seen properly. So it will not find the hard
> drives, and cannot load needed modules. my suggestion to fix this:

> Make a kernel with all needed drivers statically compiled in and no initrd
on
> another machine using make-kpkg. Then start with the installation system and
> install as normal. Do not reboot !!! Now install your static-kernel with no
> initrd and make it known in grub or lilo.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to pursue this matter and ended up using a
"server" install of Ubuntu 5.10. However, I had an issue with that which
seems like it may have been related, which I mention here in case it comes in
useful for people in the future.

My aim in setting up the Debian amd64 system originally was as a
"host" ("dom0") system for Xen. Part of setting up the Xen system involved
creating an initrd from the Ubuntu system for the Xen kernel, using Ubuntu's
mkinitramfs. I used the same procedure as I would have done on Debian 3.1,
only using "mkinitramfs" instead of "mkinitrd".

 # depmod 2.6.16-xen
 # mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img 2.6.16-xen

When I came to boot this Xen kernel (having configured Grub appropriately), I
had the same symptoms as I'd had with the Debian kernel. It seems that
mkinitramfs had failed to include the mptspi driver for my LSI Logic /
Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI controller, despite
this driver being included in /lib/modules/2.6.16-xen

The solution to this problem ultimately was to
change /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf from "MODULES = most" to "MODULES =
dep" and rerun mkinitramfs. This included mptspi in the initramfs allowing my
kernel to boot.

I suspect that had I perservered with the Debian amd64 install, I may have
found the same solution, regenerating the initrd for the default
kernel-image. I post this information in the hope that others will find it
useful.

Alex