* Goswin von Brederlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006:06:05:09:38:40+0200] scribed:
<snip />

> Better don't mix sarge and etch. That can confuse apt.
<snip />

Where can I read up on the ramifications of this?

On this very list, I was advised to use sarge to get kde onto my system.
My understanding of apt, preferences and pinning -- although a meager
understanding -- is that "mixing" issues can be mitigated.

What am I missing?

> Maybe the previous apt-get update call just fetched a broken
> Release.gpg file and thus failed to authenticate the mirror. Believe
> it or not, that happens far too often. Now, after the next mirror
> pulse has corrected the problem, you got a working one and the problem
> disapeared.

OK.  Is it fair to suppose that I am not a lazy moron; and that this is
a fair explanation; rather than that I do not fully understand the
subject error message?

--
Best Regards,

helices