On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:21:43AM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> I'm hoping that you can help me track down the source of this problem so
> that I can address it.
>
> My 486 computer (ISA bus) has an internal modem and an ne2000 clone NIC.
> Everything has been fine with this for years.
>
> My new computer is an AMD64 Athlon 3800+ AM2 on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
> MB with its nVidia nForce 570-SLI chip.  Graphics card is an Asus
> EN7300GT silent (nVidia 7300GT), although graphics doesn't seem to be a
> problem.  This computer accesses the internet via eth0 to the 486
> connected now by cross-over cable after I disconnected the LinkSys
> 10/100 switch while trying to solve this problem.
>
> I'm still in the process of getting things installed on the Athlon via
> aptitude and haven't got xorg working yet although it is installed.
> Until then, I access the Athlon (in the basement) via the 486 (upstairs)
> via ssh.
>
> The problem I'm having is that the NIC on the 486 seems to die and only
> starts to work again after I cycle the power on the 486.

I have had problems with NE2k cards doing that (specifically RTL8019A
based cards).  I switched to 3c509 instead and never had a problem
since.  I found mine used at some computer junk sale some years ago.
You may still be able to do so, but then again a p2 or p3 is cheap and
much faster.

> It seems strange that this would only happen now with the new computer.
> It wasn't an issue when I accessed my old P-II the same way (the P-II
> died which is why I built the Athlon).

Maybe the auto negotiation is confusing it.  Maybe something about the
gigabit ethernet is making it mess up.

> Is there any way that a bug in amd64 Etch on the Athlon could cause the
> NIC on the 486 to freeze up?  (this is why I'm posting to amd64)

Well no, but a bad NIC design could lock up if it sees something that
wasn't considered normal when it was made.

> If so, I can start tracking that down.  If this is impossible, I'll
> assume that my NIC is toast and the times of connecting the 486 via an
> NIC are over (as ISA NICs are unavailable).  Just in case, I've ordered
> a 3Com Courier V.Everything 3CP3453 modem from ebay to hook up to the
> Athlon via the serial port.  The 486 has a great ISA internal modem now
> useless.
>
> uname on the 486:
> Linux pluto 2.6.8-3-386 #1 Thu Sep 7 05:39:52 UTC 2006 i486 GNU/Linux
>
> uname on the Athlon:
> Linux titan 2.6.17-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 17:49:33 CEST 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

You could try and force the nic on the amd64 to 10FD or whatever you
have the 486 configured for.  Make sure you do configure both ends,
since 10mbit cards don't generally support auto negotiation.

--
Len Sorensen