-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Koen Vermeer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Inviato: mer 29/11/2006 10.28
A: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Oggetto: Re: .bashrc

Op wo, 29-11-2006 te 09:42 +0100, schreef [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> Where should environmental variables be set to be accepted at boot in
> order to launch an application from anywhere from terminal window as
> root? I tried moving .bashrc (where the env variable are written) from
> my home to either

The direct answer to your question would probably to set the setuid bit
of those applications and set the owner to root. This is not very safe,
however. Somewhat better may be to install sudo ('run application as
root').

>Yet a better way may be to try to explain which programs you
>want to run as root and why.

You are right, though I have nothing to hide. I have setup a pivot_root install
of knoppix, which provides a quasi-debian and which I use on other people
hardware when visiting institutions, lijke recently in the South Seas. This
saves the burden of a notebook and costed 115 euros only. If op hardware has at
least 1GB ram, applications run faster that on true debian on the same
hardware. Now, having broken the X system on etch (following upgrade, dropping
in version mismatch), and having met difficulties in reestablishing it, while
attempting to solve the problem, I use that pivot. One of my small
computational application (mol mechanics) requires env variables to be launched
from terminal window from anywhere. Placing a script saves the burden of
writing the env variables each time.

cheers
francesco

Best,