Greetings all.

Had my machine (amdx2) up and running for about 70 days (2.6.16-16), came home
today to a frozen kde.  Rebooted and grub would _NO_ partitions! ...15 or
twenty different kernels between 2 drives.
Checked, and they're all there just fine, so I'm reinstalling....

I rememeber a few months ago trying to boot with a freshly compiled kernel and
having the boot freeze umptine times at the scheduler initialization (?)  tried
many different kernel configs, gave up and stuck with the only kernel that'll
boot my new machine - 2.6.16-16.

Seems the latest 'debian-testing-amd64-netinst' doesn't use this kernel.
My original image from an install of a year ago stops installing at 'tzdata'
(tried 6 times now).

So I'm stuck between a rock and windows here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Chris W.