Thomas Besser wrote:
Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
There is a "bug" with the paths, as the newest java is not installed,
where the applications do expect it.

Solution (quick and dirty): create a symbolic link:

ln -s  /usr/java  /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/

You confused the target with link (first the target and then the link).

That does not solve the problem.

I think that it has something to do how the java binary was compiled
(32bit!?)

Regards
Thomas

Perhaps you have more packages than needed installed (I'm referring to the ia32 packages). I don't know if you need them, but with all the suggestions given and the following packages installed, Java works fine on this system:

sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-demo
sun-java6-doc
sun-java6-fonts
sun-java6-jdk
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-source

I develop in Java so I have a few, but I think with *-bin, *-fonts and *-jre things should work fine. :-)

-Jose