I just tweaked all ext3 partitions to something like

/dev/sda10       /     ext3    noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0  1

to see what will happen. (The option data=writeback caused boot trouble)
So far, anything unchanged but the firefox history where is no 'Today' anymore.
MySQL, Apache, and NFS servers seem to be ok.
And actually anything is loading or writing faster. For example application
launching and disk caching.

Besides /home and /var, I have seperate /var/cache with different inode sizes
and  dir_index, for lots of small files (webproxy). I guess something like that
could be handy for other filesystem based databases too.

I wasn't able to undelete a whole directory tree from ext3 with autopsy - i
didn't try other tools but i did some research and it looked like it's not so
easy, maybe impossible.
Lots of tools mention they work on ext3 too but they can't do the same on ext3
as on ext2.

 m°