On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:14:13AM -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> The one or two times I've tried to use Debian procedures to update the
> kernel, it worked okay.  But I've also had trouble with it, especially
> when adding drivers to the mix.  I much prefer doing it all myself and
> understanding where to put every file.
>
> But that's just me.

I like having a working system and never having to reinstall.

The nvidia installer is very redhat centric.  It doesn't quite
understand where debian wants things.  This can cause problems.  It will
also overwrite files beloging to other packages in some cases, which
will then overwrite the nvidia ones the next time they are upgraded, in
which case the nvidia driver breaks.  The debian package for the nvidia
driver does the correct diversions to avoid these problems, and is much
easier to upgrade.

I used to do my own kernels.  I stopped bothering around 2.6.0 since
debian's kernels work perfectly and they keep track of the security
updates, so I have to do less work.  module-assistant and the module
source packages just work and it only takes me a few seconds of work
when a new kernel arives from debian.

It is always worth learning to use good tools like the ones debian
provides.  Learning to do things consistently and efficiently is worth
at least as much as doing everything from scratch (in a usually
inefficient way).  Learning how the tools work lets you learn from
people with lots of experience to see how things really can be done.

--
Len Sorensen