Le Tuesday 11 September 2007 04:05:08 GNUbie, vous avez écrit :
> Hello Gilles,

[...]
> I already installed the linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-amd64 on my server
> and decided to have a VServer and Xen setup.  But, I can't find a good
> HOWTO on such setup.  Is it having VServer inside Xen or the other way
> around?

Vserver "in" Xen. In facts vservers in the same Xen virtual machine.

> My Debian GNU/Linux Etch AMD64 main system is currently running
> the
> linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-vserver-amd64 kernel and Xen is already running:
>
> # xm list
> Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
> Domain-0                                   0      256     8 r-----    201.4

Here, I see that you have only the Xen Dom0 running.

From here you already can run vservers, as your Dom0 kernel is a vserver one.

If you only want to have Linux vservers, no other operating systems, You don't
need Xen at all ! Use linux-image-*-vserver-amd64 kernel.

You you really want to mix Xen and Vservers, What I would do myself, is a
light Xen Dom0 without the vserver patch, and a DomU specialized for
vservers, with the vserver and xen kernel.
Other DomU for other virtual machines, perhaps Windows one ore full
virtuallized other distro...

By not using vservers directly on Dom0, you'll keep the possibility of online
migration of the Xen DomU.

But, I must say, I nerver used vservers... specialy with Xen...