On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:00:25PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I have installed Debian Lenny on my HP G6062 laptop.  Xserver works
> reasonably using the vesa driver.  I couldn't get it to work with the nv
> driver.
>
> It seems to see the nvidia network controller as well.
>
> There is an nvidia 7000M graphics chip in the laptop.  I assume that it could
> do some 3D graphics processing.
>
> But if I would want to use this capability I would need to install the
> proprietary nvidia drivers manually.
>
> I Googled this and found quite a few web pages on this.
>
> It seems that Nvidia have their own installer and guide on their own web site
> for Linux users but Debian also has its own Debian Way of installing the
> nvidia drivers.
>
> There also seems to be other individuals with web pages giving advice on this
> subject.
>
> Left to my own devices I would likely choose this site to get instructions on
> how to proceed here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>
> But this seems to be a fast moving subject and maybe this site is out of date
> now.
>
> I would appreciate comments on which web sites provide the most up to date
> and appropriate way of doing it.
>
> I will use those sites and ignore the other ones and install the drivers.

I updated mine last week. :)

http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html

It works for me, and I often get emails from people saying it works for
them.  Sometimes I get emails with questions about things not working,
which I then figure out and update the howto to deal with.

--
Len Sorensen