Hi Clive

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 12:15 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > What is the best way to cope with a package that will not upgrade?
>
> It looks as though gkrellm didn't stop.  As root or sudo do:
>
> # /etc/init.d/gkrellmd stop
>
> or alternatively stop it by:
>
> # ps aux | grep gkrellm
>
> you will see a list of processes
>
> # kill -15 (process number)
>
> if that doesn't work, kill -9 xxxx
>
> Then upgrade

Thanks for the suggestion but that isn't it.  The init script is not
stopping the processes but even if I kill it by hand and then upgrade I
still get the failure in the pre-removeal script.

So I hacked the init script to just return 0 which allowed the
installation to finish at least.  Not a pretty way of doing this, I was
just wondering if there was a better way.

Thanks for your help
Steve