Hi;
Please see below.

--- On Wed, 5/14/08, Goswin von Brederlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Goswin von Brederlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Intel compiler for amd64
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 8:33 PM
> Jerome BENOIT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > on my amd64 Etch, I installed the  intel64  ball: it
> rocks.
> >
> > Note that, amazingly, some ia32 packages are needed
> :-)
> >
> > Jerome
> >
> > Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Intel icc and ifort compilers, installing the latest ones.

> convert rmp to deb with alien (at that time it was am64
> etch).  However, I am in doubt now which file to download
> (eg for C++):

> l_cc_p_10.1.015_intel64.tar.gz         39 MB
>       70 MB
> >>
> >> Not the IA64.  IA64 = itanium.
> >>
> >> em64t would be equivelant to amd64.  Perhaps
> that's what intel 64 means.
>
> As there seem to be a few users of it maybe you could band
> together
> and generate something along the lines of java-package.

Quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics programs written in Fortran run
faster if compiled with ifort with respect to GNU compilers. As such
calculations (particularly the latter) may last days, if not weeks, I had to
turn to ifort, the trouble notwithstanding of having to rebuild everything when
advantages are offered by a new release. I would be happy if I could stick at
GNU.

> As some of our customers use the icc I'm happy to test
> and give
> feedback but I fear my time is short enough already for me
> to start
> such a project. So call this a RFP.

In my original post I badly exemplified with icc. Actually, when a
computational program is written in C/C++ I never so benchmarks claiming
advantages of icc with respect to gcc.  In my case, of Fortran-based programs
that also require a C/C++ compiler in the makefile or configuration file, I set
icc for homogeneity. It may well be that gcc would do the job as well.

Regards
francesco pietra