I recall seeing a message that went something
like: "somefile_has_stack_protector: no such file or directory", during the
building done by module-assistant.  The building procedure hung there for a
while and then continued without problems, but I haven't seen that before and
may be the problem.  Does this ring a bell?  Where may I see a log of the
build procedure to have a closer look?  Thanks!

--
Seb