Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2009-07-21 01:03:08, schrieb James Brown:
>
>> There is 3071MB RAM I can see in my BIOS.
>>
>            ^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^^
>
> IF THE BIOS does only find 3 GByte, then tere is  something  wrong  with
> your Laptop or the BIOS and this has nothing to do with Debian.

This is probably irrelevant but it may help someone searching the
archives.  I bought a Thinkpad X61 with 4GB a while back.  At first it
would recognise more than 3gb on either windows or squeeze.  I checked
the BIOS which was registering 4Gb.  I had many other things to do and
left it for a while.  The windows deficiency must have been fixed in the
Vista (shudder) SP1 update but the Debian shortfall continued and I've
been following this thread.

I use aptitude and found the following kernel package:
linux-image-2.6.26-2-686-bigmem

Installed it, rebooted and hey presto,cat /proc/meminfo gives:

MemTotal:      4074284 kB

Thanks. You guys are so great.

Regards

Clive