Maybe you've got the same weirdness as me. Crons FAILs in the syslog because it
got started twice. Indeed the whole init runs kind of twice for me, i could not
track it finally yet. It's just that all rc2 script get launched twice.

So far noone had any idea, it seems to be not trivial.

I suspect this happened when i canceled the final step in the upgrade to the
new sysv-rc dependency boot (because some packages were not compliant yet). But
i can not nail it down.

You can verify this by carefully reading the timestamps of syslog, or better,
with a little tracker in /etc/rc.loical, which is the place to put cutsom boot
scripts:

# SYSTEM:
# Debian Sid amd64, stock kernel 2.6.30-2-amd64
# sysv-rc: 2.87
# initscripts: 2.87

log=/tmp/log

echo "Runlevel: $RUNLEVEL" >> $log
echo "PPID: " $PPID >> $log
echo "Process:" >> $log;
ps e -p $PPID >> $log

If you look up that file after boot, you see the runlevel and and some infos
about the actually process. I can see 2 sets of entries ... :P but the infos
did not help in solving the problem. I'm thankful for new ideas !

If this all is not the case for you then please forget it :)

g.m