On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:25:34PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Note that the i386 arch has 64-bit kernels.  You get a larger
> per-process memory space and more efficient use of .GT. 4GB RAM.

Certainly (I run some servers that way).  But still no more than 3GB
per process when running 32bit applications.

Also the application doesn't get to take advantage of the extra registers
(but the kernel does).

Certainly the 64bit kernel is the right choice on hardware that can
run it.  Whether you use 32 or 64bit for user space is a different matter.

--
Len Sorensen